Calories???

chickiedoo123
on 12/5/12 2:25 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hello All -

I hope everyone is doing well :-) 

I am 16 weeks post-op RNY and I have a question about calories.......I have recently realized that the Nutritionist at my surgeons office is a complete IDIOT and now I am concerned that they are having me eat too much.  I have only lost 59 pounds in 16 weeks and I am thinking that is pretty slow.  They have not given me any ideas about how many calories I should be eating a day ...so I am wondering how many calories you eat?  My guidelines are 1 cup of food at each meal no snacks (which I do have some depending on if I am hungry - a cheese stick, piece of lunchmeat) and 48 - 64 ounces water a day.....

Ellie                
wendydettmer
on 12/5/12 2:36 am - Rochester, NY

i was told to not worry about calories at that stage.  but I don't consider your loss slow at all, it's almost 4 pounds a week.  i was told to focus on getting enough protein and liquid

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 12/5/12 2:37 am - OH

Well, I couldn't eat a whole cup of food at a time yet at that point but I was eating four or five times a day then.  I couldn't get enough protein or calories in just eating three times a day, plus my blood sugar would get too low.

I didn't really count calories at that point but probably 1000 calories a day is good, maybe more if you exercise a lot.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

livinglifelarge
on 12/5/12 2:37 am
RNY on 07/27/12

I really have no idea how many calories are ideal at this point.  I know every surgeon is different.  I am about a month ahead of you,  I am only allowed 1/2 cup of food at a time.  I drink 2 protein drinks a day, as well as my liquids.  I am not saying that you are eating to much.  Every plan is a little different, as well as how much and how fast you will lose.

RNY 7/27/12        
JanBooth
on 12/5/12 2:48 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I'm a little over 10 weeks out and my NUT says the same about calories.  Don't worry about them right now.  Focus on measuring foods, getting in enough proteins and fluids, and I'm working on the emotional aspects of food and my relationship with foods.  If you are eating what you are supposed to eat, at this point, there is no way that you can go over the needed caloric intake. Your weight loss is, from what I've seen on here and heard from other RNY patients, is great!  
We are all different and the weight loss varies.  My loss isn't as quick as yours, but I am THRILLED that I am losing.  If it takes a bit longer to come off, so be it.  It's coming off! 
However, I'm nowhere near a cup of food, yet.  I'm taking 1/4 cup, three times a day with the NUT approving of a nighttime snack.  I do add a few snacks throughout the day, because my blood sugars were dropping low.  Since stopping the medicines for blood sugar, my fasting sugars are now over 100 in the morning, so I may stop a snack to see what happens.  Fluids are soooo important, you should really try to increase that.  I say that, having had dehydration early on and I WON'T do that again, if I can at all prevent it!  
I read something on here all the time that I keep in mind....the weight didn't come on overnight, so it won't come off overnight!  enlightened

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 12/5/12 3:25 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I am about 14 weeks out  and I track all my food on myfitnesspal.  I usually consume about 650 calories a day (70 to 80 grams of protein).  I measure my meals and they are typically 1/2 cup.  Even at 650 calories, I sometimes feel worried that I am eating too much.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

chickiedoo123
on 12/5/12 3:53 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Hello All -

I am so irritated with my surgeon's office!  I am going to just take myself down to 1/2 cup of food because I am so worried I am going to stretch out my pouch!  I worked so hard to have this surgery and I am so scared that I am going to ruin my tiny tummy.  I just have NO faith in the NUTS at my surgeons office.

Ellie                
macjuicy
on 12/5/12 5:45 am - FL
On December 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM Pacific Time, chickiedoo123 wrote:

Hello All -

I am so irritated with my surgeon's office!  I am going to just take myself down to 1/2 cup of food because I am so worried I am going to stretch out my pouch!  I worked so hard to have this surgery and I am so scared that I am going to ruin my tiny tummy.  I just have NO faith in the NUTS at my surgeons office.

Im about 1 yr 4 moths out and I gave up on my NUT after day 30... you are not the only person I have seen complain about bad NUTS... one told me to consume 3500 calories per day while I work out 2 hours a day... she said 7-8 small mealls all heavy protein etc...

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

chickiedoo123
on 12/5/12 9:25 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I just need to chill out and listen to the pouch.  This really has been a crazy ride and I am only 3 months out :-)  NUTS are Looney Tooney!

Ellie                
artroxy blue
on 12/5/12 10:30 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I'm getting anywhere from 800-1200 calories a day, but protein is the main focus (of course LOL). I'm getting between 70-100+ grams of protein a day. Hope that helps!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 446 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 362 views