Thyroid Cancer

louise mills
on 12/4/12 5:57 am - TX

I was wondering if anyone experanced weight gain do to thyroid being removed and being taken off of thyroid meds due to cancer ??? i have to be off the meds until my tsh levels reach 30 

Friendlybyte
on 12/4/12 12:23 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

First I am sorry if you are battling Thyroid Cancer...   I had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma 10 years ago that attacked my thyroid.  They removed part of my thyroid when they did the biopsy and then it was fried with radiation treatments and I also had Chemo.  So my levels are constantly changing.  I have to be tested at least every 3 months.  I know pre op I had a hard time losing weight when my levels were out of whack.  My doctor just adjusted my Synthroid from 188 MCG to 175 MCG.  I have been on as much as 350 MCG!  It can be so frustrating at times with going from freezing or burning up if my dose is too high or too low..  So far I have been losing weight at a good pace.  Why is the reason for being off meds till your level is 30?  That seems so extreme.  I wish you all the best and if you want to talk more send me a message!

Take care,      

Cindy~*  Cancer free for 9 years!! enlightened

louise mills
on 12/5/12 9:09 am - TX

omg thank you for replying , i needed someone who could relate , im going throught  a tuff time right now and needed some one to talk to ....well first my doctor told me  to go a head with my gastric bypass then i had a tumor on my parathyroid and it caused too much  calcium in the blood so when they went in to do the removalof a parathyroid  my thyroid and lymph nodes had to be removed because i had 7 nodules and 6 tested possitive for cancer that was wide spread to the lymph nodes .So then my endocrinologist had me on 75 levothyroxine  and my bypass and thyroid surgery was just weeks apart now its been six weeks and he said that i needed one radiation iodine treatment and then they will do a pet scan lol i think thats what its called to see if it has gone any futher than the lymph nodes and in order to do that i neede my tsh levels to be at least 30 when the iodine is most active with cancer cell he said i really dont know to trust him iv been with no meds for two months and my levels stay at 21 for weeks now wish i knew what would make them rise so i can see if there is more cancer or why im feeling so bad that sometimes i cant get out of bed .... im a truck driver and own my own truck going on 16 years and i have not worked for six months and had to sale my truck and just go to doctor visits after doctor visits im so lost dont know who or what to do !!!!! do i go get a cancer doctor or stick with him i really dont know but all the stuff iv been trough and i still feel bad ....what do you think cindy

Friendlybyte
on 12/5/12 8:01 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

You must get a Oncologist!  He is the expert in the cancer field and is he one who knows what is the best way to attack this cancer!! He needs to be in charge of your care while you go through treatments.  I had both an Endo and Oncologist and they worked together but the Oncologist will be your main doctor.  You can't suffer waiting to get your TSH level up that high that is why you can't drag yourself out of bed!!  PET scan is a piece of cat, they do inject you with radio active contrast that will light up like a Christmas tree if cancer is present.  I have had to have 4 so far.  I was blessed that my cancer did not spread. 

My heart goes out to you!  I can't imagine how you are getting through healing from the bypass plus dealing with the cancer and the thyroid levels being so off!!!  You are in my prayers... Please see an Oncologist... Keep me posted!  Cindy~*

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 412 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 176 views
Recent Topics