How hard is to stretch your pouch??

robin1103
on 12/11/12 10:53 pm - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

This is my biggest fear of stretching my pouch.  I'm terrified of eating too much, drinking too big of gulp.

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

poet_kelly
on 12/11/12 10:58 pm - OH
On December 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM Pacific Time, robin1103 wrote:

This is my biggest fear of stretching my pouch.  I'm terrified of eating too much, drinking too big of gulp.

It's pretty hard.  The pouch is made from the least stretchy part of the stomach.  You can't stretch it by drinking, no matter how big the gulp, since you don't have a pyloric valve and liquids now run right through the pouch.  If you overeat by a big amount regularly, you might stretch it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

robin1103
on 12/11/12 11:02 pm - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

Thank you Kelly!!  I appreciate your help.

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

ToNewBeginnings
on 12/11/12 11:19 pm

What Kelly said.

Larry Wassmann
on 12/11/12 11:22 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

The easy way to be safe and stay safe from stretching your pouch is to measure and weigh everything you eat. If you know the size of what you are eating, how could you stretch anything? I was told by my surgeon that the pouch will get a little bigger over time but by then your eating habits should be such that you would not stretch it. I intend to measure everything for the rest of my life. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

MyLady Heidi
on 12/12/12 2:29 am

Not very easy.  I don't weigh or measure anything.  I actually listen to my body and stop eating before I get too full.  It is amazing what happens when you start paying attention to your bodies signals.  And it will signal when you are getting full.  Believe me.

AngelNichole
on 12/12/12 2:30 am - OH
RNY on 02/21/12

If someone were to stretch their pouch what can they do to fix it like is there a surgery to correct it just curious ?

poet_kelly
on 12/12/12 4:39 am - OH
On December 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM Pacific Time, AngelNichole wrote:

If someone were to stretch their pouch what can they do to fix it like is there a surgery to correct it just curious ?

You could have another surgery to fix it, yeah.  However, your insurance might not pay for it, especially if they believe the reason it stretched was because you were not compliant with the diet guidelines, and your surgeon may not want to do another surgery on you because he may think you'd just fail to follow the diet guidelines again.  Revision surgeries can be more complicated that an original surgery, so not all surgeons do them and you may be more like to have problems after a revision surgery.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hannan
on 12/12/12 4:01 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12

So stretching your pouch isn't usually what causes people to regain it is snacking. I can't remember who said this but it was a while ago and she said that before surgery she would binge on bread and eat an entire loaf of bread in one sitting, that isn't possible now, however she said she could eat an entire loaf of bread one slice at a time through out the day. This made a whole lot of sense to me, while she could no longer eat the massive amounts of food she could still eat a massive amount of calories by "tricking" her pouch. I would be more mindful of how often you are eating, how many little hand fulls of X or Y you're consuming rather than what you can consume in one sitting. 

poet_kelly
on 12/12/12 4:40 am - OH

Exactly.  I can't eat more than a cup of food at a time, but if I chose high calorie, high fat foods and ate those for most of my meals and snacks, I could get a LOT of calories in over the course of the day.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 201 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 325 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?