vitamin reactions

lbush1977
on 12/15/12 1:30 pm - IN
RNY on 08/15/13
Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to their vitamin? i have a really bad rash on my trunk and thighs that itch like mad. i have not changed anything the past 2 months except i started my vitamins. i have been to the Dr twice. first i was told it was eczema and i followed his advise to the letter. I noticed no change so i went back. the np told me to take allegra for the itching and put me on a prednisone dose pack. the rash did start to go away but now it is back full force . i thought that while i have never been sensitive to med maybe there was something in the vitamin(maybe the coating on the multi). Does anyone have any ideas? i would not be able to see s dermatologist till after the new year.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/12 2:29 pm
RNY on 08/31/12

I would advise that you do make a dermatologist or allergist appointment to help narrow it down. In the meantime, being someone who has had a fair share of rashes and has had to see an allergist (and dermatologist), I have some ideas in the meantime...

1. Immediately switch to a detergent that has no perfumes, etc. The reason I would recommend this first is that fact that you list the trunk and thighs as the trouble areas. Stay with the new detergent until you get seen so you can claim a long time of usage and no improvement (if there is none). Also, is there any chance your washer is not getting all of the soap rinsed out? The newer washing machines that are HE (high efficiency) can only use special soap or soap residue remains on the clothing. My husband's skin is so sensitive that I have to rinse twice every wash with his clothes or he itches like crazy.

2. Immediately switch shower/bath soaps to sensitive skin types like Aveeno. Doing this will help the dermatologist or allergist because if you still have the problem, soap can be ruled out. Take it from me, they do a lot of ruling out and it may save you an additional appointment.

3. Replace the multivitamin with another brand. See if that changes anything. Make sure that you continue with the new brand for several weeks. I was told by an allergist that allergies from things eaten (for me iodine), may last for upwards of a month as the entire intestinal track can become inflamed causing the immune system to overreact. 

4. If no improvement, consider changing your calcium brand. And then your B12 supplement. Carefully go down the list of supplements you must take and replace each one if necessary but only after you've given the one you replaced enough time to cause an change for the good (like 1 week at least). 

For regular use in the meantime, using the Allegra may help make it tolerable until you see the dermatologist. When you see the doctor, take ALL your supplements to them so they can look at the ingredients.

I do hope this helps. I've sat in an ER lobby for hours with hives from iodine. The itching was horrible. I wish you luck.

Dave Chambers
on 12/15/12 9:10 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Niacin (B3) can cause some rash reactions. Just Google it. It's in multis and B complex.  I know my support group leader has to watch to keep her niacin supplements low, or she had major rashes.  It's listed as a possible reaction on several web sites.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

lbush1977
on 12/15/12 11:43 pm - IN
RNY on 08/15/13
Thanks guys . today is the 3rd day that i have not taken my multi and the rash already looks better. i can't tell much difference in the itching yet . i am going to email my rd for other suggestions to replace my multi

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/16/12 4:05 am - OH

I got a rash on my tummy and sides and on the undersides of my lower arms when I started taking a B-complex.  My labs were ok, and I was just taking it because many post-ops do, so I stopped it.  After two days without it, the rash was gone.  Try a different kind of vitamin and eliminate the B-complex if you are taking one.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics