3 days post op - help!

AnnaFrahm
on 12/17/12 3:25 pm - MN
I got released from the hospital yesterday , and since I got home all I've been able to do is sleep, have bad reflux, spend a ton of time on the toilet and get in a little water with my meds which causes more reflux! I'm miserable and having " buyers remorse" what have I gotten myself into? I know I have to be getting dehydrated, but between the reflux and extreme exhaustion, I can't get anything down!
Btw- yes on Prilosec and antidepressant already
sarahmathis1681
on 12/17/12 4:06 pm
RNY on 02/13/12

im 10 months post op but i remember that first week and it truly is "HELL WEEK" you feel like crap you hurt dont want to eat or drink i still dont have an appetite i did get dehydrated and collapse so be careful get as much fluid in as possible and it does get better!! i had buyers remorse as well but i dont regret it at all now

http://www.weight-loss-center.net

Kaoz789
on 12/17/12 5:22 pm

Okay, you just had major surgery. Your insides were rearranged, literally and your body was invaded by several foreign objects. If you're lucky enough to be able to sleep through the worst of the initial recovery, go for it. Keep your water handy and sip when you're awake. If you can eat your mushies, eat. If you can't, then try again later.   Get the bubbles out, so you feel better, sooner.  When you're up for it, in a few days in a week, start doing more. 

I'm willing to bet you had reflux pre surgery, so you know it will eventually pass and its a familiar pain. Try not to dwell on the bad right now, that's self feeding. Start thinking about the things you've missed and how even though you're unhappy right this very moment, soon you'll be doing those things again; Fitting into a movie theater seat, riding on a roller coaster, walking without having to stop and rest.

most people have a "what the h did I just do moment" that's normal.  

GL!

walterswife
on 12/17/12 7:27 pm

Which surgery did you have?

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

walterswife
on 12/17/12 7:42 pm

Sorry but I forgot what forum I was on.  Buyers remorse is common so early out and do is fatigue. Remember that the anesthesia is still in your system. Why not give the surgeon's office a call regarding the reflux. With the holiday coming up you probably need some direction prior to them shutting things down. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

The_girl_next_door
on 12/17/12 9:20 pm
I have seen others say they sleep in a recliner. Perhaps not laying down flat will help with the reflux.
Mal
on 12/17/12 10:36 pm

Call about the reflux.  They can give you other perscription meds to combat it (Carafate comes to mind, that's what they gave me).  It may take some time to get in your system but it will help tremendously. 

To echo another poster, it is HELL week!  Be happy that you can sleep at all and when you are up, focus on water!  If you can get in any of a protein shake you are doing AWESOME!  Buy some s/f popsicles too and eat them if you can't drink.  Buy some s/f Gaterade-type drinks (my fav. is Vitamin Water Zero in Lemonade) it will help keep you from getting dehydrated.  Room temp or hot things were sometimes better for me too (like broth or tea). 

If you start feeling dizzy or really lightheaded and get a headache, call your surgeon asap.  They may want you to go to the er and get a bag of fluid in an IV. 

Be extra gentle to yourself right now you have been through a lot!  Put on some nice smelling lotion, sleep as much as you can, but when you are up--get up!  Walk around.  It actually makes you feel better.  At this stage, you really have to just make yourself do it because you have no energy at all.  Keep up with your pain meds too--at least for the first week.  When you fall behind its tough to catch back up sometimes.  Sleep with tons of pillows however you are comfortable or in a chair/recliner or propped up on the couch.  You really are not going to want to do much right now because your body is healing from the trauma of surgery and getting rid of anesthesia too.  You could also start to feel really depressed and cry a lot--this is normal.  Could be from anesthesia lingering or the hormones that flood our systems when we lose initially. 

Good luck!  I hope you feel better soon!

Mallisa

Lindah55
on 12/17/12 11:11 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

I think buyers remorse is normal. I had it for a couple of weeks after surgery. Scared the crap out of me. But it passed and I

would choose to have the surgery again. Sip Sip Sip you don't want to end up in the hospital with dehydration. Sleep if you 

need to its OK. angel

Vdekker
on 12/17/12 11:16 pm - Mt
RNY on 12/21/12

My surgery is scheduled for Friday morning and reading this is really making me wonder if this is what I want to do.  I have always been the kind of person that is scared of the unknown and this "unknown" is the worst.  It really helps to read all the posts of it gets better and encouragement. 

I hope you get to feeling better soon and hang in there, the new you is gona shine!

thynnlynn
on 12/18/12 4:17 am - MI

Don't be scared!  These reports just let us know what we might be in for post-surgery.  It is better to find out here what can be considered "normal" and what might be serious enough to call the doctor.

I am reading all threads about problems because there are usually things done improperly to cause it.  By knowing these things, we can try to avoid some of the pitfalls.

I do not have reflux at all, but have other issues that will be resolved by the surgery. 

Sleep is good as it helps speed healing.  My body will have to take band and port removal, followed by the RNY and I hope I am able to sleep.  Fortunately, I have some REALLY good meds due to other conditions.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Blessings!

Lynn

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?