Must be lactose intolerant....?

Gilly68
on 12/18/12 12:01 pm - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

Thinned my protein shake down with skim milk tonight, the first real milk I have had to drink in the 2 weeks post op....bloated, farted, felt like I was gonna blow!! belly gurgled and carried on for an hour....I am guessing the lactose?? I can eat cottage cheese fine...but this was misery.

poet_kelly
on 12/18/12 12:07 pm - OH

Sounds like lactose intolerance.  Skim milk has more lactose than cottage cheese, so some people can tolerate cottage cheese and things like yogurt but not actual milk.

You can use soy milk instead or buy Lactaid brand milk.  Lactaid brand milk has the enzyme lactase added to it, which helps you digest the lactose.  Many people that are lactose intolerant can also tolerate raw milk, because milk naturally has plenty of lactase in it, it's just that pasteurizing milk destroys the lactase, so then it's harder to digest the lactose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics