Nuts

Pittsteelers
on 1/6/13 12:47 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
How many nuts are too many nuts?? I love them!!!! I seem to crave them all the time. 28 nuts just doesn't seem to be enough for one serving. I could eat them all day long. I even put shaved almonds on my salads!!!!!
So I guess my question is, is it ok to eat so many nuts??

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/6/13 1:03 pm - OH

Although nuts have protein, they are also very high in fat and calories, so you may find that too many puts your eating plan out of whack.  I frequently eat almonds, but only half a serving at a time because 175 calories and 16g of fat is too much for only 6g of protein in a full serving.  (Compare that to a lean protein like fish or chicken to see how high the calories and fat are for the amount of protein involved.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JJ_
on 1/6/13 7:22 pm

I buy the Blue Diamond almonds in the prepackaged (23 gr) sleeve.  They have 140 calories, 15 gr of fat,  4 gr of carbs and 5 gr of protein.

You should not be eating them all day long, since it would be a bad habit to have.  Have you ever counted how much you are eating of them and their calories, etc?

Judy

Pittsteelers
on 1/6/13 9:27 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Guess I have to find something else to snack on I eat about 2 servings a day. I don't keep them in the house. I eat them in the car on my way home from work.

Kim S.
on 1/7/13 12:25 am - Helena, AL

Sounds more like a behavioral thing than a nutrition or hunger thing.  Try not to ever eat in the car.  Maybe switch to sugar free bubble gum and blow bubbles when driving...even try mastering the bubble in a bubble.......that got me all the way from Alabama to Kentucky on a road trip once!

Joyceebaby
on 1/6/13 9:26 pm
RNY on 11/29/12

Like the other said, nuts are high in calories and fat and don't offer as much protein as lean meats.  However, from the looks of your ticker, whatever you're doing has been working for you enlightened

Calla Lily
on 1/6/13 9:58 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

I feel like I eat too many nuts and seeds too, but for some reason they don't bother my pouch,  so I feel well after eating them. I eat anywhere from 1/4 cup to half a cup a day. I wonder if that is too many?

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Kim S.
on 1/7/13 12:27 am - Helena, AL

Eating nuts in that quantity NOW won't affect you as much because you still have lots of malabsorption.......when it could bite you in the hiney is after 2 years out.........then you absorb much more fat and calories than in the early days............so don't start a habit that will be hard to break.

Pittsteelers
on 1/7/13 5:38 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
Thanks for all the good advice!!! I will finish off my can of nuts and that will be that. I definetly don't want this bad habit jeopardizing my weight loss.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 148 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics