need advise

Karen Wood
on 1/9/13 8:12 am - IN

I am new but I was wondering if anyone out there has had surgery that is hypothyroidism due to having radiation iodine killing the thyroid. I am nervous that I wont lose any weight and all I keep doing is gaining weight. I go to my weight loss seminar on Jan 19 and I am hoping I am a candidate for this surgery.

lizpete
on 1/9/13 9:07 pm - Marlboro, MA

Ii had my thyroid removed using radioactive iodine in 1978.  I gained 75 lbs in 3 months and a total of 125 lbs in a year.  The IDIOT I had as a Dr felt that we should wait 9 months before we started any medication.so......

I had my surgery on April 4, 2012 and as you can see I have almost reached my goal.  I reached the Doctors goal after 6 months and set my own goal.  

No worries you will lose the weight as long as you follow your doctors plan.I too was worried.  I had the worst time losing and thought that this would be the same.  So NO WORRIES....

Good Luck and Happy Losing....  LOL

Lisa R.
on 1/9/13 11:18 pm - OH
RNY on 07/16/12 with

just on monday i went to the endocrinologist  they found a goiter. she did a biopsy on it since it very large. Once we get the results we go from their but it seem more likely surgery to remove my thyroid which scare me since im 6 months post-op and 40 pounds from my goal i worry of gaing but she said if i had it remove the pills our easy to control and should not have a problem ..She calm me down a little but guess it wait and see. Best of luck with seminar and approval  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/10/13 12:19 am - OH

Yep, I had the radioactive iodine because of Graves Disease in 1990, and have been on 150-175 mcg of Synthroid daily since then.  As long as your thyroid levels are normal you won't have any trouble losing weight.  Have you had your levels checked lately?  I lost 190 pounds and went from a size 26/28 and a 3 or 4X to a size 10/12 and a M or L, and have kept it all off.  (I am 5.5 years out.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 255 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 269 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views