Fantasizing About Food

BellaNY
on 1/14/13 3:54 am

I had my surgery one week ago. Today I went shopping at the warehouse club (for some reason the rest of my family feels they deserve to eat). We didn't buy anything that is a trigger food for me, or really anything that was not healthy. But I am sitting here fantasizing about a specific carbohydrate smothered in melted cheese. Somehow that seems far more appealing than my Bariatric Advantage shakes :)

I'm pretty sure this is "head hunger." So what do you do to make these thoughts go away?

chris_ruff
on 1/14/13 3:59 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

anything smothered in cheese sounds pretty good to me! i'm not sure that i have any good tricks when it comes to head hunger. just to keep busy (as your recovery permits) and drink loads of water. i'm most bothered by head hunger when i have idle time.

--Christina
cajungirl
on 1/14/13 4:08 am

Drink water, eat what's on your plan.  Some people do experience head hunger and a "specific food" is an indication of head hunger based on what I've experienced and have seen others deal with the 8 years I've been on OH.

I always found when I wanted a specific food that walking or reading a book to keep myself busy took my mind off of the food fairly quickly.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

AprilM1969
on 1/14/13 4:13 am - OH

Head hunger is a hard thing to overcome, it helps to keep your mind busy on other things.  One thing that has helped me is looking up the calories of the food that I'm craving and seeing how many it is snaps me back into reality. If you're craving cheesy stuff maybe try some pureed broccoli cheese soup if that's on your plan.

karenp8
on 1/14/13 4:56 am - Brighton, IL

When I was early out and would have cravings like that I would take a drink of water,go walk some on my treadmill and remind myself how good I would look in a few months. And now I look better and feel better than even I imagined. You can do this and it gets so much better when you can actually at real food!

BellaNY
on 1/14/13 6:24 am

Great comments. Thanks.

robyn_fresh
on 1/14/13 8:37 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I am a month out tomorrow. I have those thoughts too, but it is getting better. I find that I am always eating or drinking something if I get in all of my water and protein drinks. That helps. 

jorlsu
on 1/14/13 9:56 am - TX
RNY on 12/17/12 with
Lol, silly family, thinking they can eat. I find that some water and a good walk gets me forgetting about my craving. I have also taken up being crafty, sewing things and making textured picture frames, etc. I just have to keep busy, pretty much at all times. BUt it gets better! I like the idea of looking up the calories.
Most Active
Recent Topics