How long of a process?

Jennifer E.
on 1/15/13 11:22 am - OH

My family physician just recommended me today for Bariatric. I already called my insurance and have made sure the doctor and hospital are in network. And I am going to the Orientation next Tuesday. How long are we talking from start to surgery date? I'm terrified but anxious. Advice? I'm leaning towards Roux n Y.

poet_kelly
on 1/15/13 2:29 pm - OH

It depends on your insurance company and your surgeon.  Does your insurance require a medically supervised diet first?  Many do, often for six months.  then it depends on what other tests or things your insurance and surgeon require.  For instance, my surgeon required all patients to attend a pre-op nutrition class at his office and to get a psych eval.  Then it depends on how busy your surgeon is - when you're ready to schedule your surgery, if he's not very busy you might be able to schedule a date in just a couple weeks but if he is very busy, it might be a couple months before you can get a date.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NBussey
on 1/15/13 5:05 pm - MD

I had my orientation in Jan 2012.  My surgery took place on Oct 15, 2012.  I believe that is a typical journey.  There are quite a few "hoops" that I had to jump through.  Nutritional counseling, exercise evaluation, psych evaluation, EGD, medical clearance, etc.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride!

Nena

Chachita1
on 1/15/13 9:07 pm
RNY on 11/27/12

It really depends. I was required a 6 month supervised diet. Then came the insurance. I was denied a couple of times. Basically it took me about one years and a half to go through the process. On the other hand, I have seen people get approved right away. The only advice I have for you is do not get discouraged. Good luck!

Sasha     
artroxy blue
on 1/15/13 10:02 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I started last January and had surgery in August. I probably would have had surgery in late June/early July, but my surgeon was very booked. I had to do a 6-month diet with a dietician in addition to my surgeon's testing requirements (cardiology, pulmonary, psych evals, etc.). You'll learn more at your orientation, though. Good luck! :)

MultiMom
on 1/15/13 10:06 pm - NH

I did not have to do a supervised diet but my surgeon required meeting at least once with the nutritionist and have a psych exam. Also required were 3 pre-op meetings and losing 5% of my excess weight which was (I think) to see if I could follow a 'plan', My first appointment after the orientation was in mid August and I had my surgery October 27. The longest part was between the orientation and first appointment. That was almost 3 months.

Good luck!

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

VSG on 06/12/13

I went to my seminar on 11/7/12. The surgeon required upper GI, EKG, labs, psych eval, doc's letter, and support group visit. I had those done and submitted on 12/18. First insurance was denied on 12/29. Appeal went in on 1/11 and I'm waiting to hear. Surgery could be as soon as 2 weeks once approval is received.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

RainbowRN
on 1/16/13 7:21 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I had my seminar on 11/27.  My last appt is 2/4 and then it will be submitted for insurance.  I could have surgery by end of february. I did not need to do a 6 month supervised diet.  Thank God!  I was told by my surgeon its a 3 month process however I know some that have had to wait up to a year.

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 453 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 523 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 507 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 394 views
Recent Topics