Having trouble eating and drinking

chaynladi
on 1/16/13 3:08 am

My RNY was on Dec 5th. Lots of complications. I was finally discharged from the hospital on 1/6. I'm getting better, but am having trouble eating. Almost everything I eat or drink makes my feel sick. I have nausea meds, but they only last for a little while and I can only take them every 6hrs. I am totally dehydrated and only managing to get about 300-400 cals in a day. My nutritionist and bariatric dr both said that this was pretty normal for the first couple months, but I'm afraid I'm just wasting away. All I want to do is sleep because I have no energy.

Any suggestions?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/16/13 3:26 am

Dehydration is no joking matter, so you have to find ways to get your fluids. And dehydration will increase nausea. Are you allowed hot herbal no caffeine tea? That is my number one tip for getting in fluids. It comes in lots of flavors and the warmth is soothing on a grumpy stomach.

What liquids have you tried?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

chaynladi
on 1/16/13 3:40 am

Yes, I can have tea. I tried some this morning. Only managed to get about a half a cup down before I started to feel sick. I mostly try to drink water. But have tried some Ensure clear, since it is full of vitamins and protein too. I can't do milk because I am also having lactose intolerance issues.  

AmberF
on 1/16/13 3:40 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12

I am in the same boat surgery on 12/12/12 and was in the hospital for 3 weeks I had some issues as well. I am still on full liquids and cant seem to get them in I feel constantly dizzy and have massive headaches. I am sleeping like 10 plus hours a night because I have no energy. I dont have any advice but just wanted to say your not alone and I will be praying for you and hope it gets better

rylex2
on 1/16/13 9:03 am - PA

I feel that way and I am on pre op liquid diet. I am so sorry you are still feeling sick after surgery. Do you mind if I ask you what kind of complications you had?

rylex2
on 1/16/13 4:06 am - PA
That is horrible. . I hope you feel better soon. May I ask what kindof complications you had? My surgery is January 21st.

Feel better
Mary Catherine
on 1/16/13 4:43 am

Not being able to eat more than 300 or 400 calories a day is normal right now.  It took me about six months to get up to 800 calories.  I did waste away but it was excess fat that I wanted to get rid of.  i did not waste away to nothing and got a little stronger everyday.  I kep****er with me all the time including on my night stand and sipped as much as possible.  If you are really dehydrated they can give you IV's to bring your fluid levels up.

I concentrated on water, broth and protein drinks and did not eat solid food for the first three months.  Eventually everything healed up and I was fine.  Sorry that you are having problems right now, but do believe that you will be fine soon.

scarlettbegonias
on 1/16/13 7:37 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I've had a few complications as well and understand how hard it is to get anything in sometimes BUT being dehydrated makes it 10 times worse and if you end up in the ER with them trying to put an IV line in whilst you are dehydrated it is unbelieveabley painful.

dont try and drink all at once if you've got a water bottle fill that up and just takes little sips often, I found warm drinks went down better- I couldn't drink cold drinks until about 8 weeks out, sugar free Gatorade or powerade (or is that an Australian thing) were my godsends- at room temp.

have you tried almond milk you could use that in place of diary, I know you guys are in winter now but you also have the sugar free popsicles(?) and alot of people have said they can get those in easier than actual drinks.

at this point keeping your fluids up is more important than food.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Most Active
Recent Topics