Help with Non-animal protein sources

mimijo
on 1/21/13 8:21 am

I really want to move towards more plant based diet!  Any help out there with suggestions for protein in non-animal sources for us with RNY?  I am not sure if we can do this?  Any vegitarian's out there?  Confused and not quite sure about if or how RNY patients can get away from animal based protein.  Any guidance? 

Thanks!

Mimi Jo

terilynn112
on 1/21/13 8:26 am - maryland, NY
i'm moving towards a more non animal protein source diet, because of kidney stones I now have.

The suggestions I've been given, beans, peanut butter, whey protein shakes, almonds, cashews (high fat content- make me dump), cheeses (some will eat cheeses).

Just a short list. Hope that helps some

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

poet_kelly
on 1/21/13 10:46 am - OH

Whey protein shakes are made from milk (the whey comes from milk) so they are still animal protein.  As is cheese, of course.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BabyRuth2u
on 1/21/13 8:29 am - Pittsburgh, PA

Hi, I'm not a vegetarian but do often eat non-animal proteins in my diet. There's tofu, soy protein shakes, edamame, quinoa, chickpeas and recently I found a vegetable protein product. It's this crunchy grain looking substance. I've used it in soups to thicken it, and hubby adds it to his Greek yogurt. I'm sure there are lots more in addition to this and nuts.  I have seen others on the boards who are vegetarian so I'm sure you will get lots of good information, thought I'd give you a start. Good luck! 

Dee.spunk
on 1/21/13 8:45 am - Sacramento, CA
Trader joes has a lot of good protien options. They have a whole section of vegetarian food like the garden burgers, hummus, chicken strips (not real chicken, tofu). Costco also has some good stuff.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

cstarr
on 1/21/13 10:09 am
RNY on 11/15/12
I add TVP (textured vegetable protein) to lots of foods. I get it at the grocery store or you can order it online. It is a dried product that has little taste. Just rehydrate it with what you want it to taste like. (ex. Drain a can of tuna into a bowl and rehydrate with that juice. TVP tastes like the tuna).

cstarr

poet_kelly
on 1/21/13 10:48 am - OH

I'm a vegetarian, but I eat dairy and occasionally eggs.  Just no meat or seafood.

I get a lot of protein from beans of all kinds, and also soy products.  Morningstar Farms has some wonderful fake meats made from soy.  Nuts and seeds are good sources of protein, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ktattwu
on 1/22/13 12:29 am - Vancouver, WA
RNY on 11/07/12

There are a lot of vegetarians and vegans who have had weight loss surgery.  You can find their blogs with a search on Google.  :0)

RebeccaElise
on 1/22/13 2:54 am - Quincy, MA

I would add lentils and quinoa as good plant based protein sources.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

scarlettbegonias
on 1/22/13 12:00 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Pea protein powder is pretty good, mixed with almond milk-yum

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Most Active
Recent Topics