Three days out, wondering...

mocuevas
on 1/24/13 10:12 am - TX

I almost feel like there wasn't a surgery at all.  I mean I have stuck with my Dr's plan for being on clear liquids and haven't had any food, but I can drink as much as I want without a problem and sort of feel like I could eat anything too.  Anyone else experience this? I can take my meds easily and really don't feel like there is anything different except for the incisions on my belly and the soreness when I stretch.  Is something wrong? Or am I just lucky to not have some of the other things that usually come.  Do I need to worry that I can drink 12 ozs pretty quickly if I want... I just need some advice here.

Thanks!

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

Amanda M.
on 1/24/13 10:17 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I say you are lucky. I am 6 days post op and am struggling a lot with liquids. after two sips I get gassy and stomach spasms and it is really hard to get more than 24oz in a day.

If you are seriously worried, talk to your doctor.

ncmgs
on 1/24/13 10:27 am - Mechanic Falls, ME

I had my surgery on the 15th and seem to be able to hold quite a bit too. Trying to go slower though. I do find that if I go slower I notice when I start to feel full. If I drink too fast or too much I actually don't feel it right away. I think it's a habit that needs changing so am doing my best to slow down! I guess in way we are lucky that it doesn't cause too much discomfort, but on the flip side I don't want my old habits back.

Zeigled
on 1/24/13 10:45 am - Parkton, MD

I have NO problems with liquids. The reason is that your new stomach is like a funnel - there is no block between the stomach and the intestines.  So as fast as you could pour liquid through the 'funnel' without causing it to fill up is as fast as you can drink without feeling full. When you eat food THAT CHANGES.  You will feel full with only a very small amount.  Good luck on your recovery.

HW 357 SW 341   

lilbird
on 1/24/13 10:47 am - Cambridge , Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

2 Weeks out here, and ya i agree it has been super easy to drink since about day 5. Normally I drink an easy 1800 to over 2 L a day. 

I started on second stage of fluids today, cream soups etc. I think my only concern on the H2O was that if I drank too much at one time I may enlarge my pouch.... which I most certainly do not want to do. 

Also drinking just the water jello etc the first two weeks also does not give any protein really. So easy on the amount at one time you guzzle lol.. tc Donna.

1/10/13  Dr. Reed(Guelph) HW 315  OPTI 284.8 (-17.2 )  SD 267.5   CW 181.8 GW 125

1)19.8 2)12.8  3)11.4 4)10 5)10.2 6(July) 9.0 7)6.8 8)     9)      10)      11)      12)

There is no duty we underrate so much as the duty of being happy. Robert Louis Stevenson.

andibrown
on 1/24/13 12:30 pm - TX
I'm the same way!!! I am 5 weeks post op and I can drink water very easy and my protein drinks with no problem. So I guess there are a few of us out there...
robyn_fresh
on 1/24/13 12:57 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I am 5 weeks out now, but around a week out I made almost an identical post. ?YEs you can drink fluids rather quickly, but don't. Slow down and remember that this is about learning new healthier habits. Things will change with the fullness factor when you begin eating solid foods. It'll work if you stick it out!

Maz-K
on 1/24/13 2:11 pm - NJ

the first few days, couple weeks after my rny i was surprised i was drinking a good amount of fluids and was hungry and eating good amounts of yogurt and jello, i started to think the surgery didnt do anything.  But then as the weeks progressed i was able to take in less and less, eventually you have to remind yourself to eat.  I think its because at the beginning its a mind thing, your brain is not synced with the new stomach so all the signals are in shambles and you still can take in decent amounts of food, but fear not, it will stop...lol.  its a good thing.

mocuevas
on 1/25/13 1:18 am - TX

Thanks for all the replies and support, I appreciate it! I will work on slowing down and thinking more about what I'm drinking so I am ready for food when the time comes.

Smiles, Mo

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 7 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?