RNY surgery is thursday Feb 7th. about to have a panic attack!!!

drjay6684
on 2/4/13 9:49 am - TN

Is this normal to have this much anxiety b4 surgery? I'm not really scared of the surgery, its what life will be like post-op. I'm already grieving over what I WONT be able to eat anymore. I know how pathetic that sounds, but the old tapes in my head still whisper " you cant do this" I just cant hardly get my head around the fact that sustained weight loss can be a reality.  Anyway, i know I sound like a freak, I've just had a rough day... Thanks everybody for letting me vent and God Bless All on this Journey!

Thanks,  Jay.

chulbert
on 2/4/13 10:19 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Perfectly normal.  If anyone here says they didn't have any of the same feelings, they're lying.

karenp8
on 2/4/13 10:21 am - Brighton, IL

You don't sound like a freak,you sound like me before my RNY. Let me reassure you that you can do this! If you follow your doctor's guidelines you will lose weight. You will find after surgery that your tastes begin to change and as you begin to lose weight it gets much simpler to make right choices. Many of the foods you think you can't eat again you may be able to eat in moderation once you are in maintenance. I feel like a new person since I have lost 90 pounds and don't miss the junk food I used to crave. Take a big breath and get ready for an exciting journey!

drjay6684
on 2/4/13 10:27 am - TN
Thank you sooo much . I really needed a little encouragement! P.s 90 lbs! Awesome!
Sue G.
on 2/4/13 10:33 am - NH
RNY on 01/22/13

The anxiety is normal pre-op as well as post-op.

Don't be surprised if you have a little panic attack after where you worry about "what have I done". Post op is no picnic but everyday you will feel stronger and more like yourself.

I am 2 weeks post-op and it's been a wild ride. I have my 2 week follow-up appt on Wednesday. I am taking baby steps. Can't wait to have an egg :-).

HW: 242  SW: 212   GW:134

ready2be140
on 2/4/13 11:02 am - WA
RNY on 08/29/12

I can relate-i had anxiety before surgery, but the day of, i was very calm-perhaps it was just knowing i was in good hands with my surgeon and medical team, and that i was doing this for me.    I hope you find that "peace/calm" the day of your surgery as well.    

Sherrie P.
on 2/4/13 11:14 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Hey Jay! I am going in Wednesday!! I have the same thoughts. I am mourning cupcakes and white wine.  LOL ... but you know,every time I worry about cupcakes or cinnamon rolls or cheese dip - something fat happens.  I can't fit in a chair, or I can't buckle that damn seatbelt on the plane or someone snickers at me.  So - screw food.  This is more important that the self gratification that got me to a 41 BMI.

WE CAN DO IT!!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Ruby_Trout
on 2/4/13 11:21 am - Canada
Just so you know: I'd do it all over again because it is definitely the RIGHT decision. I was nervous too. Scared out of my tree. It's quite a ride!
Liz A.
on 2/4/13 12:09 pm - OH
You CAN do this!! You are not a freak! lol I was scared of the 'after' part too but just follow directions from your doc. I don't miss junk food either and now that I'm a year out I can eat whatever I want. It may only be a bite or two but I get full fast and you may find, like me, that you crave whole foods more than junk food. Don't be afraid to try new goods that you may not have liked, I have all new tastes! And believe me once you eat too much sugar and dump one time you'll learn to stay away from sugar. Anyhow, good luck I hope everything goes well!

Liz
The_girl_next_door
on 2/4/13 12:37 pm
Have faith! You have researched and met every requirement to get this far. You've got this!!!

And ps. You are the envy of every preop out there that are just chomping at the bit, waiting for it to be their moment!!! (Me, for example )