open vs. laparoscopic

Mo Diggity
on 2/8/13 8:56 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I see that some people still do open surgery. Is it because their doc doesn't do laparoscopic or is there another benefit that I don't know about ??

Melissa Nicely
on 2/8/13 9:15 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

Sometimes there is too much old scar tissue from past surgeries for them to do it laparoscopic. Other times there are unexpected complications and the surgeon have to open you up.  Both ways get the jobs done, you just heal up faster with the laparoscopic and don't have to spend as much time in the hospital or recovering.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/8/13 9:20 am - OH

Some surgeons (like mine) can do both lap and open but simply prefer open surgery because they have better access to everything and there is a much smaller chance of nicking the liver when raising it up  and trying to keep it out of the way (which, apparently, can be a very serious complication when it happens).

Some people start out with lap surgery but have to be converted to open (which means they end up with both the large open incision and the small lap incisions) because the surgeon runs into something unexpected.

Also, some people have medical issues or a previous surgical history that makes laparoscopic surgery difficult or undesirable.

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TamiSass
on 2/8/13 11:07 am - pine city, MN

Everything Laura said...

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 301 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views