Band to RNY - how is it different?

JennLa
on 2/13/13 11:25 am
RNY on 03/07/13

I had my band out at the end of December and will have the RNY March 7.   For those who have experienced both - what are the similarities and differences?   

Band 4/08   255      Band Removal    12/12  235     CW 235   RNY Date March 7, 2013.  

Dhunt1515
on 2/13/13 7:29 pm - NJ
RNY on 08/22/12 with
I had a band and only lost about 20 lbs. After having the bypass done this past August, I'm down 84 lbs and still losing. I've had vomiting problems with both but I tend to eat too fast. The upside is that my diabetes is gone. Sleep apnea and asthma is gone. My arthritic knees are much more tolerable. It was worth the discomfort. Good luck!
dparh71
on 2/13/13 11:46 pm - Brandywine, MD
RNY on 01/08/13

I got my band out in December 2009 and then had the RNY on January 8, 2013. Even though I am a newbie I am liking the RNY better. For one I lost a total of 45 pounds with my band and right now I am already down 40 in just 5 1/2 weeks. I still get the foamies or vomit if I eat too fast. But one thing for sure I will not miss is getting those fills.

Other than that my recovery has taken a little longer because I had an open RNY procedure. But other than that I was out of work the same amount of time (3-weeks). 

Good luck and enjoy!

Deborah  - Lap-Band 3/6/2006 / Lap-Band Removed 12/9/2009 / RNY 1/08/2013

Owlet
on 2/14/13 5:55 am

I had my revision the same time my band came out 1/14. Honestly I can't tell much difference other than the fear of too much fat or sugar with the RNY.I am down 24 at 4.5 weeks. I was not tolerating the band, so would do the horrible slime or even worse throwing up if I tried to eat meats or dry foods. The acid reflux for me was really hard.

I can take larger pills now than I could with the band, but still worry I will get sick to my stomach. The vitamins are hard on my system, I have to take fiber and drinkdrinkdrink and still have issues. I hope this resolves when I finally make it the 6 weeks.

Personally I feel strange with the RNY. I can't explain it, but it is really difficult to bend down. I feel pulling ( not pain) and get light headed easier.

Good Luck, there is a better way post Band intolerances.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 275 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views