How much is too much loss?

Capt_Kirk
on 2/13/13 10:41 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12

Well, I've been out of the home for two weeks now, and haven't weighed in since then, but my last weigh in, I was 15lbs from my "goal" weight of 180lbs for a 6'1" male.

So, my question is, how much is too much to lose?  It may be, that I haven't been this lean in so long, but I'm finding my bones protruding from almost everywhere.  I can feel my cord, my rib bones, my collar bone, etc.  I hate to ask a dumb question and say "is this normal?" but it's a bit scary.

I am gaining some lean muscle mass, where I can notice it in my arms, etc. but that's about it.

I'm 8 months out and haven't done my 6 month check-in yet, (going to get labs done on Monday) but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!

Neen L.
on 2/13/13 11:15 pm - Arlington, VA

It's not a dumb question. A lot of us don't really remember (or never knew!) what we looked like as an average-sized person. I am only 5'4' and when my collarbone and ribs appeared I wondered if I was going too far. I determined I wasn't in a few different ways:

My BMI is within a normal, nearly ideal range.

My bloodwork comes up with no deficiencies.

I am eating a reasonable diet and not lacking in important macronutrients.

I feel healthy.

It all depends on how you feel. If you want to go all the way to goal, DO IT! If you're happy with where your body is at, that's great too. Be happy and be healthy.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Capt_Kirk
on 2/13/13 11:22 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12

According to the dumb BMI scale, I'm still overweight, by 5lbs or so.  LOL.

Thanks for the response... I'll find out in a few days how my labs are, but I absolutely feel fantastic.

chris_ruff
on 2/13/13 11:34 pm
RNY on 04/07/09 with

you can never be too rich, too thin or too tan. (or wait, maybe you can.)

seriously though, many people experience some bounce back weight, so going below goal in the beginning isn't the worst thing in the world. i believe that our bodies find their own equilibrium. 

--Christina
Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/14/13 1:34 am

This is where, IMO, body fat percentage comes in. It is a much better predictor of health than BMI. And that is what I am aiming for: a healthy body fat percentage, even if the BMI tables mark me as overweight.

I actually got my BF tested via BodPod testing when our doc said that he considered me a success since I'd lost 50% of my excess body weight. I think my expression was something between "Are you nuts?" and "Say what", but he said that is his criterion for sucess: 50% of excess body weight lost. Since it's not acceptable to be, I am still plugging along.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

brenlee1965
on 2/14/13 7:21 am - New Berlin, NY
15 lbs from goal weight in 8 months....Good for you. Although it sounds as if you are more concerned than excited....I would talk to your doc about this and see what he/she says about your progress and they will talk to you about any changes that need to be addresses. I have never been under a size 16 that I can remember & so I never really had too many bones protruding......wish you the best.
 Bren                
Most Active
Recent Topics