RNY over Gastric sleeve

Mo Diggity
on 2/16/13 1:57 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Why did you guys choose RNY over The sleeve ? I already know that I'm NOT going with The Band, but since the sleeve has similarities to RNY (at least I think), what was your deciding factor ?? The nurse at the seminar said that with the sleeve, the part of the stomach not used is thrown away, but with the RNY, that bigger piece of stomach stays in. She said that RNY was reverseable, while the sleeve was not. Now, I know you're not supposed to go into this assuming it's reverseable, but God forbid some kind of bad thing happened where you needed it to be reversed and have the stomach sewn back together with another operation. I just want to know how accurate this info is since this was my deciding factor to go with RNY. Like I said, I don't ever WANT to have it reversed, I would just like to know if I NEEDED to, is it an option ???  Thanks !! Maureen

chickenoregg
on 2/16/13 2:00 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
These were my top two options.
I went with RNY due to its long history, slightly better outcomes, and that it's way better for GERD.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

Mo Diggity
on 2/16/13 2:44 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Yeah, I have bad GERD & a hiatal hernia

absolutemomtwofour
on 2/16/13 2:06 am
RNY on 02/11/13

I cannot blame you for looking at the reversal aspect of it, there are people that do have problems and want it reversed.  It is extremely important to understand every aspect from before to after and the ins and out of the surgery  you choose.

I made my final decision on RNY vs Sleeve because there I did not see enough long term success stories yet, I am sure there will be in the future but for me for now that was my final decision making choice.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/16/13 2:37 am

My decision was made due to the RNY helping those who were diabetic.  I walked out of the hospital off all diabetic meds when I started the process my PCP wanted me to start taking insulin.  3 months later I stopped my cholesterol meds as well because my cholesterol was too low.  My last A1c (long term blood sugar control) was 5.3 which is considered non-diabetic.  My cholestrol was 160.  My eyesight improved when I went to the eye doctor in January.  She thinks it is due to my long term control on my blood sugar.

Winnie

acochran
on 2/16/13 3:11 am - GA

I went with RNY because I have Gerd and my Doctor said the sleeve would make it worse. Also there is more long term data about the success rate of the RNY.

Karens62
on 2/16/13 3:49 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Three main reasons I am choosing and RNY.
1. Chance to have the diabetes "cured". Even if its only for several years as some studies are saying
2. Reduce the chance of GERD
3. I worked Oncology for years and saw many people who did not survive as much from malnutrition as the disease so I wanted the possibility of tube feedings should it ever become necessary in the future.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Mo Diggity
on 2/16/13 12:48 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Hey Karen ~ Thanks for your answer, but I'm a little confused by #3 ?? "People who did not survive as much from malnutrition as the disease" ? And also what did you mean by "possibility of tube feedings should it ever become necessary" ???

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/16/13 1:42 pm - OH

Are you assuming that since there is no remnant stomach with the sleeve they would not be able to provide nutritional support? A woman I shared a hospital room with once had no stomach left at all due to cancer yet they were able to put her on some type of nutritional support after the surgery until they lifted the NPO order.  I didn't ask how they were doing it, but they did something.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Findingme2013
on 2/16/13 3:50 am
RNY on 02/04/13

I went to the RNY because  of my eating habits.  Best I can tell from people and watching others, you can learn to cheat with the band and the sleeve. Sweet drinks, milk shakes, soft foods that are not healthy can slide on down.  I had to have the whole if you cheat, bad things could happen, ie: dumping.  I know it does not happen to everyone......but I don't want to find out, therefore there is a better chance of me staying away from it!!

Most Active
Recent Topics