Psych Eval

Mo Diggity
on 2/17/13 9:12 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I'm a little worried about the psych eval. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy lol !!  I just feel worried that there's gonna be like "trick" questions into making me give an answer that might make the therapist not recommend me for surgery. Or I might say something that **I** think is no big deal, but again, turns out to be an answer that "fails" me for going on with the surgery. I have no history of what I would think to be traumatic. Just worried. Any advice from those who've been there ??? :D

poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 9:35 am - OH

There won't be any trick questions.  The evaluator is not trying to trick you or keep you from getting surgery.  They just want to make sure you're prepared for surgery.

I don't think there are any single answers that will make you fail the psych eval.  It would be a combination of things.  And in most cases, it wouldn't keep you from getting surgery, it would just delay it while you got treatment for something, like an addiction or untreated mental illness.

Just try to relax and be honest.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Babyshoes79
on 2/17/13 9:37 am
VSG on 11/19/13

I feel the same way I'm in the process of scheduling my evaluation  not sure of what to expect.😕

Megan K.
on 2/17/13 9:42 am
RNY on 02/18/13

Relax, I had myself all worked up about it because I do have a few issues.  It was explained to me that the purpose of the psych eval is to simply ensure you understand the ramifications of this surgery (it's not a fix all), and to ensure you have the support avenues available should you need to/choose to use them.  There is no trick question.  My only "problem" was I almost forgot to schedule my follow-up to get the results of the questions. (they don't allow the follow-up until the end of our program which was several months for me). 

My biggest piece of advise would be to relax and consider it another box to check on the required criteria cheklist.

lil1inside
on 2/17/13 10:58 am
VSG on 07/10/13

I was worried about this too, I figured with as much as I've gone thru in my life, I would definitely fail the psych exam  but I didn't and it really didn't take that long, it did end up costing $240 after insurance which I wasn't prepared for (thought it would be cheaper).

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Mo Diggity
on 2/17/13 1:19 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Phewww, thanks guys !!  I feel better now hahahaaaaa

quiltpainter
on 2/17/13 11:44 pm - CT

Mine was no big deal. I used the hospital based mental health program so they were used to doing WLS evaluations. It was pretty short. One focus was on how much family support there was, the other was on how flexible my employer would be. He had advice for after surgery if I had troubles.  I think they just want to make sure you are emotionally ready to handle the changes and have support when things get tough.

Mo Diggity
on 2/20/13 1:11 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Thank you :)

Most Active
Recent Topics