Talk to me about protein shakes for a minute..

jenarm
on 2/20/13 12:57 am - VA

I am pre-op, and I am trying to buy some stuff for after surgery. My doc has said any protein shakes that have under 10g of sugar are ok to have. I have looked at several stores, and holy SMOKES how confusing! I have also done some research around here on what people tend to like, but I am looking for some current recommendations (I'm guessing threads from 2009 might not be that helpful!). It looks like a past fave were the shakes from Costco, but I don't have a membership. I don't want to send my mom out searching unless I know they still have them, so here are my questions:

(1) What protein shakes do YOU like?

(2) Do you know if Costco still sells yummy shakes?

Thanks, folks

Set for surgery 2/25

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 2/20/13 1:04 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

The best protein shake I have found is the ready to drink Premium Protein shakes (my fave is chocolate).  They are available at Costco. 

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

jlewis1981
on 2/20/13 8:08 am - FL

I drink the Premium Protein as well from Costco too. They are good quality, the taste is good as well. I agree with Sonja that the chocolate is the best (staring at my refrigerator full of the vanilla and sighing over having to drink it for the next week).

Good luck on your shake search!

poet_kelly
on 2/20/13 1:13 am - OH

My favorite protein shake is Syntrax Nectar cappuccino flavor, but that doesn't mean you'd like it.  I recommend going to vitalady.com and ordering a bunch of samples so you can try them to see what you like.  You can also get some samples at chikenutrition.com, celebratevitamins.com and unjury.com.

In addition to the Syntrax Nectar cappuccino, I love Chike iced coffee (but it has caffeine), Syntrax Nectar vanilla bean (makes a great root beer float shake with some skim milk, diet root beer and ice), Chike vanilla and banana, BSN Lean Dessert banana, Celebrate ENS vanilla cake batter, Oh Yeah ready to drink cookies and creme, and the Isopure ready to drink smoothies.

How you make your shakes matters.  They will taste different made with milk than with water.  Putting them in the blender with ice makes them different than if you just shake them with liquid in a cup.  Some may taste icky cold but be great in a hot drink like sugar free hot chocolate or decaf coffee.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

alycat75
on 2/20/13 1:16 am - Indian Trail, NC
RNY on 01/14/13

Hi, welcome....and congrats on having surgery soon!

I live by the Costco shakes.  They're called Premier Protein.  I haven't tried the vanilla (I'm more of a chocolate girl), but I LOVE the chocolate.  I've been drinking them since my preop at the beginning of Jan and I'm not sick of them.  As a matter of fact, they're the ONLY ones I've found that I like.  They're 160 cal, 30gm protein, 3gm sugar, 1 gm fat.

You can get them on Amazon, but they are a little more pricey.

Surgery Date:  January 14, 2013

HW:  273   |   SW:  250.9. |   CW:  209.3  |  GW:  150

mpjones
on 2/20/13 2:36 am

Have to go along with the Premier shakes--Sam's Club, Walmart and Meijers sells them around here. I get the chocolate and add Sugar free caramel. hazelnut or coconut syrups to them. It's cheaper to get them at Sam's Club. 160 calories and 30 grams of protein in each ready to drink carton.

fancy_nancy
on 2/20/13 3:17 am
RNY on 01/22/13

I like the premier protein shakes that I have found at Meijer and some people have said that they found them at Walmart. I have also found them as Sam's Club. Another protein shake the I really like is actually a protein powder called Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 at GNC (the chocolate is my favorite, tastes like cold hot cocoa). I am not a fan of EAS or muscle milk because they just taste too sweet for me. After my surgery, my taste buds changed and things that used to be good were sickeningly sweet. I am still trying different shakes and you may have to try several yourself to find one that you really enjoy. Sometimes even mixing a few together or blending with ice or using milk instead of water can make shakes taste better. Good luck with your surgery!!

12 lbs. was pre-surgery weight loss

thynnlynn
on 2/20/13 3:26 am - MI

I have been reading here for quite some time and it seems to be the concensus, just like food,  that everyone's taste is different.  I think I have found an excellent solution for me but it might not work for everyone.  Check egghead's site for excellent protein recipes.  I have a cost issue and some of them are way out of my budget so I needed a budget-friendly way to purchase protein and vitamins.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Missirenee
on 2/20/13 5:39 am - Orient, OH
RNY on 01/28/13

My favorite is Unjury Chocolate Splendor. I think it tastes like Nestle Quick...yum. I also am a fan of the Syntrax cappucino, chocolate, and vanilla bean flavors.

~Missy~

I would rather live my life believing there is a God, and die to find out there's not, than to live my life as if there were no God, and die to find out there is ~ source unknown ~ 

acochran
on 2/20/13 8:28 am - GA

Atkins Mocha Latte !

Most Active
Recent Topics