gaining weight before approval

netnay
on 2/21/13 1:05 pm
RNY on 03/27/13

I was required by my insurance to do 6 months supervised dieting/weigh ins before they would approve my surgery. During that time I lost 40 pds. Now that I am worrying about approval, I find myself going back to my old eating habits. I worry so I do what makes me feel better and that's eat!!! Any advice?Did this affect anyone else?

mamabug70
on 2/21/13 1:26 pm - Kansas City, MO
RNY on 03/25/13

I was required to do 3 months diet and exercise before surgery. This included meeting with a dietician and exercise physiologist once a month for 3 months and a psych evaluation.  They told us that as long as we lose or maintain from our original weigh in that we would be okay. They said that they have seen people denied if they gain too much weight from their starting point. Of course every insurance is different. In the 3 months I lost a total of one pound and had no trouble getting approved - was approved 9 days after it was submitted and have surgery scheduled for 3/25. I have Aetna PPO. 

Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 2/21/13 3:10 pm - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

As unfortunate and scary as it is, until we have the surgery and the access to such an awesome tool, we still have the issues that caused us to gain weight in the first place.  I was required to have 6 months of check-ins with my PCP, and I gained over 20 pounds towards the end.  It did not hinder my surgery date at all, but as previously stated, every insurance company is different.

Good luck and best wishes!

Stacey

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

addict05
on 2/21/13 11:31 pm - IL

I gained weight on mine and was still approved, but each insurance company is different.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 240 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views