Confused - two weeks out of surgery

Cloverjezz
on 2/26/13 2:45 am

Hi all, I had my surgery on February 13, 2013 and am confused.  I have read my sheets from NUT about what I am to eat and then I have read the stuff online here on the website.

I have been doing as instructed;  Oatmeal for breakfast, snack of juice or milk, cream soup with milk for lunch, juice snack for afternoon and soup and pudding for dinner and then yogurt snack at night.  But I keep reading about the protein shakes in the blogs.  I do have protein shakes that I can drink but should I be concerned about the calories in them?  they are Slim Fast shakes and are around 250 calories. 

My question is should I be concerned about calories or protein?  I don't want to overeat.  I feel great but just concerned and the blogs leave me confused.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thank you so much.

Michelle

Ready2ChangeMe
on 2/26/13 2:54 am - Canada

Protein was a biggie for my Nut and I was always on par with getting the right amount in...i don't think you have to worry about cals now cause you probably aren't coming close to norm yet because of portions...I would say concentrate on getting proteins in and eating right! Develop good habits to carry forth. All the best on your journey! I am 15mths out! and feeling and looking great! it isn't an easy journey but fully worth it!

angeleigh
on 2/26/13 3:01 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

For the protein you get from the slim fast shakes you are not doing your self any good. I think most of them are only 10 grams of protein, and the high protein ones are 20, but last time I looked both of those were a good amount of carbs.

Every doctor is different as to what they require or like to give as guidelines. Basic guidelines for protein for me where: first 30 days 30 grams or more, 30-60 days 60 grams or more, then 60 days aim for more like 70-100. Drink your fluids. You can get some good protein drinks from many places, heck some are even more of a flavored water. You just have to find ones you like.

I was told no juice, its to much acid but that was just what my paperwork said. Right now you are getting in foods, but they arent the best things for you. I would try adding in a shake, say for dinner instead of pudding. How many calories are you getting in a day? how much sugar? carbs? Are you tracking your intake? I personally use Myfitnesspal.com.

Are you getting in enough water? When I was 2 weeks out i was on pureed food, things I did was chili, mashed cauliflower, refried beans with cheese, ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese, GNC lean shakes, pudding with unflavored protein added, SF jello, SF hot cocoa with protein added.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

poet_kelly
on 2/26/13 3:16 am - OH

So you are eating a diet very low in protein?  Yeah, I'd be concerned about that.  And you're having juice, which is high in sugar, for snacks?

You might want to consult a registered dietician with training and experience with RNY patients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ToNewBeginnings
on 2/26/13 3:17 am

Protein was most important for me. I did not count calories until very close to goal. 

What kind of juice are you drinking? I'd be concerned about the sugar.

Cloverjezz
on 2/26/13 6:36 am

I am drinking cranberry juice but have cut back on that since I went to full fluids.That's what is confusing me because these sheets came straight from NUT in Guelph.  They are the sample meal for this stage. Can anyone give me a list of what they ate during the full fluid stage? 

Thanks

poet_kelly
on 2/26/13 8:30 am - OH

I had protein shakes (was supposed to be getting at least 60 grams protein per day), Greek yogurt, sugar free pudding, cream soups, sugar free jello, and sugar free popsicles.  The protein shakes were the most important part of the diet, because we need protein.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pattyjonichols
on 2/26/13 12:04 pm

Perhaps this may guide you.  I cringe when someone starts eating too soon after surgery...it can push your new pouch or Intestines too much.  I ended up with a big ulcer because I started eating too soon.   My favorite protein is UNJURY unflavored powder.  You can put it in food or liquids and it is 21 grams.  Also love Muscle Milk (which has NO milk in it hahahahaha) . Right now I'm living on Kefir Liquid Protein drinks, LOVE Blueberry and Strawberry.  Kroger, Trader Joe's and Walmart carry Kefir.

This is my bible of Weight Loss Success  Good Luck to you !!

"Bariatric surgery is a weight loss operation that requires significant lifestyle and diet changes. Compliance with a post-operative bariatric diet can make the difference between successful weight loss or complications and insignificant weight changes. Most bariatric surgeons require consultation with a registered dietitian before, and sometimes, after surgery because of the dramatic diet changes required. The post-operative diet may vary from person to person depending on the specific surgery and each individual's needs. A registered dietitian can help determine your specific needs and also provide support to make the appropriate changes throughout the various stages of the post-op diet. In the beginning I saw my NUT every 6-8 weeks for 2 months.  Now every 8-10 weeks.  Also see an Exercise Professional and my Doctor every 2-3 months.

Stage 1  Clear Liquids For the first few days after surgery, the doctor may order you a clear liquid diet consisting of foods that are transparent and liquid at room temperature. These liquids should be calorie-free and non-carbonated such as water, sugar-free gelatin, sugar-free ice pops and broth. Because fluid intake should be consumed slowly, meeting the minimum recommendation of about 48 ounces each day requires frequent, consistent sipping throughout the day. Carry a water bottle with you everywhere you go. Your doctor may also recommend that you start taking a multivitamin and protein supplement.   Stage 2  Full Liquids By the end of the first week, you should be able to add full liquids in addition to the clears. Full liquids include dairy or soy-based products such as skim milk, low-fat plain yogurt, and fat-free strained cream soups. Continue with your supplements.   Stage 3 Pureed Foods By the third week, you may start a pureed diet, whi*****ludes foods blended to an applesauce or thinner consistency. In addition to the foods from previous stages, you can also include low-fat ricotta or cottage cheese, soft scrambled eggs, pureed meats thinned with broth and non-starchy vegetables that have been cooked to a mushy state and mashed. Avoid celery, broccoli and asparagus, which tend to be stringy or can cause abdominal discomfort. Do not eat and drink at the same time. Wait 30 minutes after drinking before eating and then wait an additional 30 minutes after you finish eating before having another drink.   Stage 4   Soft Diet which goes into a Regular Diet For the next few weeks you progress into regular foods.  Chewing your food well is one of the key steps to the soft stage. Cook tender, lean meats and fish and chew, chew, chew. The protein should be the focus of the meal, but you can add soft fruits and vegetables including canned fruits packed in water or natural juices. Continue to avoid starchy or doughy foods that can increase caloric intake and can be difficult to digest. As you move toward a regular diet, you can try toasted wheat bread, whole grain pastas and multi-grain crackers.  Word of advice.....don't start off with Steak and rubbery Chicken.  If you can still grind it (ie: In Chili) you are better off. Good Luck   Credit to Cleveland Clinic  

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

poet_kelly
on 2/26/13 9:01 pm - OH

How does eating too soon cause ulcers?  And what is "too soon?"

Cloverjezz
on 2/26/13 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for all your help.  I will look for these products. I found the info online so different than what my NUT gave me. 

Most Active
Recent Topics