Water intake 4 day post-op help!!!

jessdivine68
on 3/2/13 11:28 am - MI
RNY on 02/26/13

Can someone please help with water. I have RnY surgery on Tuesday Feb 26th, prior to surgery I could drink gallons, and I mean gallons of water. I did not drink soda's and hardly anything else. Today I am struggling to sip WATER!!!...It hits my pouch and automatic queasiness...it tastes horrible to me now and it's WATER!!!cool...I am worried I will become dehydrated and I don't want that. I am having a hard time with this liquid diet, but getting down what I can. My tastes buds are definitely out of whack. Any advice???... my surgery went fine no problems, no complications, I also had a hiatal hernia repair and I haven't been in any pain since I left the hospital on Thursday...I just need to know how to get this water down.

Newbie...please help

angeleigh
on 3/2/13 11:54 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I had to do warm liquids. SF hot cocoa was a life saver. Or just room temp water. Cold bothers my pouch still sometimes.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

chickenoregg
on 3/2/13 12:22 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
I had RNY same date and also have a problem getting enough liquids in.
I feel too full all the time. Water tastes terrible Crystal Lite is far worse.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

rocky513
on 3/2/13 12:31 pm - WI

Ditto on the warm liquids advise.  I lived on hot  peppermint tea with stevia for weeks after surgery.   I couldn't drink cold water for months. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

arcydejavu
on 3/2/13 1:51 pm - Murrieta, CA
RNY on 12/10/12
Hi, I know how you feel I had the same problem with water in the beginning. I bought Propel and Crystal Light packets to put in my water it's the only way I've been able to drink my water. With the packets you can make the water as sweet as you want. Good luck to you. Hope your water intake becomes easier for you. Arcy
jessdivine68
on 3/2/13 10:24 pm - MI
RNY on 02/26/13

Thanks Guys today I am going to try and add crystal light to my water to see if it helps...Thanks again!!!....

ncbrwneyedgurl
on 3/3/13 12:41 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13

Jess,

I had surgery the day after you and was having the same concerns as you...my hubby had surgery in Nov so I we were chatting last night and he said that just do what I can do to stay on top of things. Eat jello, sugar free popsicles etc to help with the liquids also.

I found drink mixes that are sugar free made by Crush...orange and grape....and they have been a LIFE SAVER!

Am going to try some sugar free cocoa later today...good luck!!

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

alaskasusan
on 3/3/13 3:10 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I'll be three weeks out tomorrow 3/4 and had very much the same issue -- plus I cannot abide artificial sweeteners so all those SF popsicles, jello, drink mixes are out.  I ended up drinking hot broth (and I can even stir in a bit of unflavored unjury protein powder) and taking micro sips (I tried all diff temps, cold or hot is best for me) all the live-long day.  I mean like 1/4 of a teaspoon at a time.  The Dr said I was pretty well loaded with fluids before leaving the hospital (and boy did I feel it) and as long as I was getting something down I'd be okay for a while.  Well, at about 2 weeks and 4 days I finally made a breakthrough and was able to get in more than 8 oz in a day.  I did close to 40 oz yesterday (does happy dance) of water only, not counting the protein drinks and broth. 

Hang in there, keep trying everything til you find what you like.  Hopefully you don't mind the artificial sweeteners so you'll have more choices, but broth and herbal teas are good options too.  Good luck!!

Mrs_Stimpy
on 3/3/13 4:17 am
RNY on 12/20/12

Ice was a lifesaver for me.  Not only was it fluid, but it gave me something to chew too.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

jessdivine68
on 3/3/13 11:18 pm - MI
RNY on 02/26/13

Thanks guys, I am trying the ice, and the crystal light works good, I'm still working on sipping. But thanks for all the advice, I'm going to keep trying...

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics