Annoyed at Pre op person

Eva1230
on 3/8/13 9:58 pm
So I have a friend who is on her liquid diet now. I told her there is no way for me to get all of my protein in right now I'm on day four post op. I also told her my surgeon wants me to focus on getting the fluid/hydration.
She acted as if it was a bad thing I'm not getting protein in. It's impossible!! I just told her to wait and she will see what it's like post op.

Sorry just a vent with my annoyance of those comments.
Karen518
on 3/8/13 10:29 pm

My post op instructions did not even mention protein until two weeks out.  Just focused on hydration.  Keep doing what you are doing.  It gets better.

KatBee
on 3/8/13 10:34 pm

She will understand once she is on the other side

poet_kelly
on 3/8/13 10:34 pm - OH

See, my surgeon really stressed the need for protein right away.  I got 40 grams of protein the day of surgery - drank a 20 oz Cytomax protein drink after I got to my hospital room.  Took me all afternoon and night to do it, but I got 40 grams of protein.  She may be basing her comments on her surgeon's advice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missirenee
on 3/8/13 10:46 pm - Orient, OH
RNY on 01/28/13

My surgeon also stressed hydration, and not to worry about the protein until after my post-op visit at 2 weeks. Don't worry about what your friend wants you to do. Follow doctor's orders.

~Missy~

I would rather live my life believing there is a God, and die to find out there's not, than to live my life as if there were no God, and die to find out there is ~ source unknown ~ 

thynnlynn
on 3/8/13 10:50 pm - MI

I am in the camp that just hopes to be able to get enough fluids in.  I am hoping that will include some protein, but if not, so what?  Dehydration can kill you whereas some time with low or no protein will not.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

mydragonmoon
on 3/9/13 2:18 am
RNY on 02/14/13 with

Seems like every surgeon is different. Mine stressed liquids and proteins about 4 days out of surgery. I went home on that day with all kinds of info on what to drink and not drink and when and how to drink it.  I'm about 3 weeks post op and it's still a struggle to get in all the fluids and protein I need daily. Shakes help. Sometimes it feels like if I don't have a shake a day I won't make my protein goals. 

pararomancemom
on 3/9/13 7:45 am - NC
RNY on 03/20/13

My NUT and MD both stated hydration in the first priority for the first 2 weeks.  Protein is encouraged, if you can handle it, and sip if you can, but drinking clear fluids without caffeine is the most important thing to do right after surgery.  I tend to agree with the other people posting.  Do your best and it will all come together. wink

I am preop, but this is what I have been told.

Ht: 5'4"; HW 239, SW 220, CW 204, GW125 

Most Active
Recent Topics