Is it a SECRET?

bdubs
on 3/12/13 12:23 pm

I was just curious.... Do most people keep their surgeries a secret? I have actualy told quite a few people about my surgery. However, I did recieve some peoples opinionbout how I am crazy to do the surgery and should try this great diet they know of. Obviously if I could just diet off this weight I would not be having surgery. THoughts? Opinions?

debbie A.
on 3/12/13 12:31 pm - inland empire, CA

I told everybody, including people i dont know. The people whos opinions werent the same as mine, I just let them talk cause after its all said and done I''m gonna do what i want.

bdubs
on 3/12/13 12:33 pm

I kind of have a big mouth and am super excited so it is hard for me to keep it in! I figure the more people I tell the bigger my support group. Out of like 15 people who know only 1 has tried to talk me out of it. Not to bad I guess. LOL

MultiMom
on 3/12/13 9:33 pm - NH

You could tell them "Yeah, I tried that diet and THAT one didn't work either. (Because DIETS DON'T WORK!! unless you only have a few pounds to lose.)

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

groovykg
on 3/12/13 12:31 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I'm a lightweight, still morbidly obese, but people don't believe I qualified for surgery.  So yes, it's a secret because I don't want to have discussions about the extent of my obesity and my self esteem.  I'm also extraordinarily sensitive and can't handle any kind of criticism.  

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/13 11:37 pm - Baltimore, MD

Are you seeking counseling for that? I ask because that's the kind of dynamic that makes a perfect recipe for relapse/regain down the line if you don't address it throughout your process. It's not necessarily about what you tell others but moreso how you feel about and how you regard yourself.

If you aren't already I'd seek therapy for those issues while you still can't eat that much. Once you regain your appetite/ability to eat those problems can bite you in the butt. And the sucky thing is re-losing weight after WLS can be really hard (and slow). 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

optimistic34
on 3/12/13 12:37 pm - AL

I am trying to keep mine secret just because I don't want everyone's opinion.  The only people who know what kind of surgery I am really having is my spouse and children.  This is something that each individual has to decide for themselves.  I am having a hernia fixed at the same time as surgery so that is what I am telling everyone. once weight comes off and people ask how I am going to tell them a strict diet and exercise. 

HW 245/ SW 242/ GW 145/ SURGERY DATE 04/01/13   

MrsLitch
on 3/12/13 12:40 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Shared it with everyone went fb official at 3 mo out and just had an article ran in the local paper about it... yeah no secrets here :D I've had 3 friends come forward (in private message) that they had the surgery previously I wouldn't have known. I've also "inspired" 3 people to have wls. That is why it isn't a secret I want anyone who can get the help and is ready for the help to get it and get healthy

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Rose_Queen
on 3/13/13 4:00 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12

FB official! I love it! That is such a true way to describe it! I am not FB official. I will talk about it face to face and with close friends and family but I'm not ready to be FB official. I don't like it when friends tag me in pics that reference WLS and I don't like being added to groups that "out" me. I don't "like" pages and only comment on my secret support groups. But I am totally fine to talk about it face to face. We'll see if I ever feel like going FB official!

Congrats on your news story and the people you are inspiring! Very cool!

HW (Jan 2012): 308    SW (May 2012): 275       CW: 145   GW: 135  

MaleNurse78
on 3/12/13 12:43 pm - Bossier City , LA

I did not discuss it with anyone when I decided to do this, and still did not discuss it with anyone after it was done, I had my surgery on a Monday and returned to work on Friday, so everyone thought I just took a few days off from work, I did not disclose any of it until I was about 3 months post-op and people started asking what I was doing to lose so much weight. Now I discuss it very openly. It really is a personal choice to discuss it or not, because truly it is your personal life, and there will be people who try to make you feel bad for making this choice, so consider this when deciding who you will let into your personal life pre-op. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 154 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics