I need veterans (5/10+ years out) opinions!

xCrystalk99
on 3/13/13 7:00 am, edited 3/13/13 7:02 am - Manassas, VA
RNY on 08/19/10 with

I'm two and a half years out from my gastric bypass. I've lost all my weight and I'm extremely happy with where I'm at (physically and mentally I am a completely different person) but some days I just get tired (of the counting and searching and no support and watching my drinks, etc, etc when there's so much other stuff going on in my life), like everyone does, and need a pick me up of looking forward to the rest of my life as a weight-loss patient!

I would really like to hear some of the veterans stories like if/when you reached all your goals? How you're keeping the weight off? What do you REALLY eat on a daily basis (I'm sorry but a lot of the people I know in person who've had it are just full of crap about what they eat)? And what you do for exercise? Struggles/hurtles? etc?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/13/13 7:19 am - Baltimore, MD

I am 5 years out.

I eat pretty similarly to how I have always eaten since surgery. I am a creature of habit. I don't track food every day but do track for a full week every month to stay mindful. Usually my "default" is eating about 40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fat (give or take a few percentage points).

I didn't have a "goal" per se, but I lost 143 lbs after all was said and done (total of 155, but gained back 30 relost 18 of that so far). But I used to be a size 28, now size 10/12. Used to wear 3X, most things i can wear M/L, so I'm  happy.

As far as exercise here's my routine and it's been that way for a little while, although I've taken "hiatuses"

Monday - Spin class (thanks, Paul!)

Tuesday - weight lifting class, walking the dog after work

Wednesday - break day

Thursday - weight lifting class, walking the dog after work

Friday - a la carte day at the gym (usually rowing machine/treadmill)

Saturday - spin class and/or yoga

Sunday - run 4 miles with a buddy of mine

Struggles: hmmmm. I mean I have life struggles. I don't perceive my post-op life to be that much of a struggle anymore. It is, of course, harder not to turn to food in distress but somehow I've managed not to have a major meltdown in the past few years (not even when my mom died last year). I'm thankful.

I think my attitude has changed. Instead of working TOWARD something I work to MAINTAIN something. Not just my weight but I feel a sense of pride in my fitness. Pride in what I can do. Pride that I am no longer afraid to take on a challenge. I don't like it when I behave in a way that takes that pride away from me.

I strive to live a healthful life. The weight thing at this point is sort of arbitrary.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

xCrystalk99
on 3/13/13 7:48 am - Manassas, VA
RNY on 08/19/10 with

Thank you so much for posting!! I like to hear each side of the spectrum because it just motivates me more to know I can do this!

xtine
on 3/13/13 1:36 pm - San Jose, CA
I just started using the rowing machine! What does that typically work out and is that considered a cardio type workout?

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/13/13 7:34 am - OH

It took me 20 months to lose 190 pounds, and I have maintained within 7 pounds of my lowest weight since then and am currently at 1 pound above my lowest weight (I will be 6 years out in August).  I didn't have a clothing size goal, and just wanted to have a healthy BMI and body fat percentage.  i hover just on the line between a "normal" and "overweight" BMI (which is BS anyway, since it does not take bone/muscle mass into consideration), but have a body fat of 24% which is considered "optimum" for a woman my age (and it a MUCH better indicator of being at a "healthy weight" than the straight height-weight ratio of the BMI).

I do almost no exercise because of bad knees, so I have to be a bit more disciplined about how much food I consume, but I have never measured portions and stopped tracking my daily food intake at 6 months out (although I track a couple of days worth of food about twice a year just to see if I am still hitting my protein/fat/carb distribution).

That said, however, I eat 6 or 7 times a day and I allow myself one daily treat (less than 100 calories).  I pretty much eat the same way now that I did at a year out, just somewhat larger portions and some additional carbs. I still eat most of my protein first at every meal (only a couple of bites of side items), never drink with meals, and avoid "white carbs".  I eat a much healthier diet than I did pre-op, but no one who doesn't know that I had surgery would know that I had it other than my portion sizes, because I eat fairly "normal" healthy food when eating out.  I eat 3 larger meals and 3 or 4 protein snacks.  Common snacks are Greek Yogurt, cheese, or nuts (almonds or cashews). Often before bed I have a glass of milk.  

A typical breakfast for me is SF hot chocolate with protein powder (that gives me a protein "cushion" so I don't have to actively count protein every day (and I never counted carbs, fat, or calories even right after surgery... just protein); otherwise it is usually Greek yogurt. In the winter it is sometimes oatmeal with fruit.  Lunch is often deli meat & cheese, tuna salad eaten with a fork or with a couple of whole grain crackers, chili, or the insides of a deli/chicken/fish sandwich (I eat one or two bites with the bread).  Dinner can be almost anything... Pot roast, meatloaf, ham, baked or grilled chicken, shrimp (if fried, i try to remove half or more of the breading), the toppings off of normal pizza (two bites with crust, then just the toppings), ribs, etc.  with a few bites of one or two side dishes (always one veggie, sometimes also a starch like potato or mac & cheese).  Sometimes I heat up a frozen dinner and eat everything except the rice/pasta/potatoes. I like the Healthy Choice steamers but I only use about 2 spoonfuls of the rice and not all of the sauce (not needed with so little rice).

My daily treat is usually something chocolate (a snack size candy bar, a couple of dark Hershey kisses, a spoonful of strawberry Haagen Dazs ice cream, but is sometimes half a lunch-size bag of chips, pretzels, Cheeze Its, or some buttered popcorn.

That is what is working for me.  It might not work for everyone, but I only need to worry about me!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

xCrystalk99
on 3/13/13 7:50 am - Manassas, VA
RNY on 08/19/10 with

You have always been one of my favorites on here! You're a real inspiration to me :) I love that you're so realistic and it seems like you don't put a ton of pressure on yourself which is the "problem" I'm having. I just get so overwhelmed with everything and worry to death that I'm going to regain, especially since I'm still a "baby" in the WL world and that my life has absolutely nothing to do with the weightloss anymore! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/13/13 8:03 am - OH

The one other thing that I do that I did not mention was that I have a weekly weigh-in and have a self-imposed 5 pound regain limit.  If I hit 5 pounds up (I weigh again in a couple of days to be sure it isn'****er weight), I eliminate all non-dairy and non-veggies carbs (and limit even the veggies) and increase the protein a bit until the couple of excess pounds come off.  Five pounds to lose is VERY manageable, and it reinforces that the eating plan that I have DOES work.  (I have had to do that three times in about 3 years.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

xCrystalk99
on 3/13/13 8:28 am - Manassas, VA
RNY on 08/19/10 with

It sounds like I have a lot of the same plans/goals as you :) Except I have a HUGE addiction to the scale and I weigh myself every morning to keep my butt in check. A pound scares the hell out of me so I know that it'll keep me in check but it definitely puts a lot of pressure on me.

Don 1962
on 3/13/13 7:38 am

Like Nik I'm five years out - or will be in a couple of seeks.

I'm a walker, 3-4X a week, and I eat real food. Including some crap I know I should not!!

I lost 160 pounds from 331 to 170 or so.  If the scales go over 170 I'd better get to "livin' right" as we say in TX.  I'm terrified of going back to the way I was.  Like Nik said it is not a matter of losing any more it is a matter of maintaining the loss.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

xCrystalk99
on 3/13/13 7:54 am - Manassas, VA
RNY on 08/19/10 with

I'm a walker too! It just what I love to do, especially since I'm literally with my 3 year old 24-7 and that really all I can do with him. And I completely agree, I am not about losing weight anymore because I've lost it all and I'm happy with where I'm at. Now I am just looking to get "in shape" and maintaining for the rest of my life!