8 weeks out and eating problems

mocuevas
on 3/13/13 11:29 am - TX

Hi!

I am almost 8 weeks out from rny surgery and still have difficulty eating many different foods. I try to follow my plan but often end up throwing up the different protein laden foods I have tried to eat.  So here's my question... is it a problem if I am getting almost all of my protein from shakes or protein bars?  Those typically stay down, as does yogurt or cottage cheese, or any cheese, but meats don't.  I eat yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast, then do a protein shake late morning and another one or a bar in the late afternoon.  Does it matter if I am not eating much regular food and depending on those right now?

Thanks for your ideas or thoughts. I appreciate your input.

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

madeformore
on 3/13/13 11:55 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

Some people have a hard time with meats. I would encourage you to keep trying them - small bites, moist meat, chewed VERY well. Have you tried things like tuna fish or canned chicken with a small amount of mayo or greek yogurt? Or lunchmeat? Just wondering if you are able to keep those down. They are a good place to start. I think, short term, getting most of your protein from meal replacements is fine. But more surgeons plans call for more "real" food. I would encourage you to talk to your surgeon and nutritionist about your struggles to make sure there aren't any issues and get their guidance. Good luck!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

mocuevas
on 3/13/13 2:37 pm - TX

Thanks!  Tuna fish just doesn't appeal to me right now, but it reminded me that I have tried chicken salad and that worked fine, so maybe I will try that again.  Haven't tried lunchmeat, but will do that. I see my surgeon on Tues and will speak with him about it then.  Thanks for the support and ideas!

Smiles, Mo

Pittsteelers
on 3/13/13 11:57 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
As long as you are getting your protein in I don't see a problem with that. But I am so sorry you are having problems with keeping other foods down. Have you tried fish yet?? How often have you tried eatin meat?? I was always told if it gave you problems to always go back and try it again.

mocuevas
on 3/13/13 2:39 pm - TX

I haven't tried fish yet, that is a good idea. I've tried meat almost every day for the past two weeks, different kinds, but all chewed well, and none of them worked.  I thik I just need a break from being sick from it and will wait a week or so before trying meat again.  Thanks for your support!

Smiles, Mo

Mary Catherine
on 3/13/13 1:15 pm
I could not eat meat for over 4 months. Getting your protein from shakes is way smarter than throwing up. You will be fine.
mocuevas
on 3/13/13 2:40 pm - TX

Thanks, I appreciate you letting me know you had some of the same problem.  I feel like I will get there, just right now don't want to throw up every day. Thanks for the support.

Smiles, Mo

glad2balive
on 3/14/13 12:41 am

It took me months before I could eat meats. Some people have a hard time. Try soft meats like canned tuna & canned chicken. If that does not work. Wait a while! JUST KEEP YOUR PROTEIN UP AND DRINK!GOOD LUCK!

mocuevas
on 3/15/13 10:03 am - TX

Thanks, I will do that!

Smiles, Mo

Sarahakers11
on 3/14/13 1:49 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I have not yet had RNY but I have seen many posts on here about difficulty with meats.  Beef especially.  I wanted to point out that with beef  in a normal body digests much better at a rare or medium rare  (not other meats as its not safe to eat them rare or medium rare).  This is because all the enzymes naturally in the meat are still there in the rarer cuts.  The longer its cooked the harder it is to digest.  I don't know if having RNY may change that , or if eating meats rare is less safe after RNY, but it might explain the posts about issues with slow cooked beef or beef in deli state.   Try a more rare cut and see if that helps.  UNELSS OF COURSE rare meats are a no no after surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics