Pre-op diet

netnay
on 3/15/13 5:15 pm
RNY on 03/27/13

My surgery is March 27. I don't have to do the 2 week liquid diet I have seen a lot of people on here have had to do. BUT I am seriously thinking about only doing liquids a few days before. My doctor only requires a liquid diet the day before and magnesium citrate for a bowel cleanse. What do y'all think?

poet_kelly
on 3/15/13 5:40 pm - OH

Why are you thinking about doing a liquid diet for a few days if your doctor thinks it's not necessary for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

netnay
on 3/15/13 5:48 pm
RNY on 03/27/13

Not only to help clear me out but also to get used to just drinking liquids since I will have to drink only liquids after surgery for 3 weeks. It's more to prepare myself. I've already starter doing different things like not drinking anything while I am eating and chewing my food to a fine mush.

'View

poet_kelly
on 3/15/13 10:16 pm - OH

Well, you'll already be cleared out by just doing liquids the day before.  If you think it will help you prepare yourself, then go ahead.  It will be easier to stick to just liquids after surgery, though, than it will before.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dahoodman
on 3/15/13 10:36 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I thought about doing that too since my surgeon doesn't require it either. The reason I gave it a thought was because I was starting to care a little less about what I was eating when I got approved. I started to gain weight and feel very uncomfortable in my clothes. They were getting tight! I decided instead to just substitute a protein shake for breakfast and/or lunch. I say and/or because our work sometimes has meetings with bagels for breakfast or a vendor buys us lunch. I figured there was no reason to pass up on some of these at this point. I've done very well and the clothes are fitting almost normal again after a week and a half. When I do get bagels or lunch I don't go nuts either. I just try to eat what I consider a normal serving for that type of [calorie laden] setting.

I don't think there's any point in stressing yourself out needlessly before surgery. It's already tough enough and like Kelly says, it'll be easier post-op. If you do try though, don't beat yourself up not being able to do it. I've been beating myself up for years and I'm done with that.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

jzwife
on 3/16/13 3:36 am

Thanks for this post. I am having a revision done on Tuesday and was really concerned because my surgeon didn't say anything about a pre-op diet. a liquid diet or even a bowel cleanse and I was thinking about maybe doing something for just a couple of days so I would feel a little better before going in. Its amazing how different each surgeon is and what they require. I had heard a lot of docs use the NG tube and when I asked my surgeon about he said he doesn't use it. So they are all different, doing what they feel comfortable with I guess.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 208 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views