caffine

debbie A.
on 3/20/13 3:51 am - inland empire, CA

What kind of effect does caffeine have on us after surgery? Dumping? 

thynnlynn
on 3/20/13 3:54 am - MI

No.  Caffeine is dehydrating.  This being said, although I have cut down, I am still having some coffee.  I drink a lot of extra fluids and was not going to give this up.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

debbie A.
on 3/20/13 3:59 am - inland empire, CA

I havent had any coffee since the day before my surgery and I'd just love to have a few little drinks of some.

poet_kelly
on 3/20/13 4:00 am - OH

The Mayo  Clinic and numerous other sources say it's not dehydrating, unless you consume HUGE amounts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 3/20/13 4:01 am - OH

The same as before surgery.  It may aggrevate an ulcer, if you have one.  It interferes somewhat with the absorption of some minerals, like iron and calcium (but not a lot).  It may cause anxiety and trouble sleeping.

Caffeine doesn't cause dumping.  Dumping is caused by too much sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dee.spunk
on 3/20/13 4:21 am - Sacramento, CA
As far as I know, it just aggravates ulcers. I still drink some coffee and tea. You shouldn't dump on it unless you add a bunch of sugar. I just add equal or Splenda.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

debbie A.
on 3/20/13 4:23 am - inland empire, CA

I use equal in my coffee and i have almond milk I can put in it too. 

Dee.spunk
on 3/20/13 4:38 am - Sacramento, CA
I use almond milk to make my chai tea. I use unsweetened cause it only has 30 calories per serving and it comes out really good!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

debbie A.
on 3/20/13 4:46 am - inland empire, CA

Yes i also have unsweetened almond milk

ChristaBas
on 3/20/13 4:38 am - Lufkin, TX
RNY on 12/17/12

I'm drinking coffee right now! :)  My Nut said that it is ok in moderation.  I agree that it would aggravate ulcers, and that it is proven to NOT dehydrate, however, being a Biology professor, I would warn you that it DOES have other physiological affects on your body, and depending on what co-morbidities you had/have to start with, you might want to abstain for awhile.  Here is a fairly straightforward article about it: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-does-ca ffeine-affect

Christa

Surgery Date: Dec. 17, 2012