Totally OT - Hysterectomy Questions

caroletee
on 3/22/13 1:16 pm

After suffering for almost 23 years with a prolapsed uterus, I'm seriously considering a hysterectomy. The smaller I have become, the worse it's getting. I cannot exercise strenuously without issue - sometimes walking will even cause issue. Grrr -

While I'm not normally squimish about things like this - I am a bit hesitant to have the procedure. Have any of my fellow RNY'ers had one post DS? Any issue/s?

Thanks ladies -

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 3/22/13 1:20 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago (so 18 months before my RNY).  I felt so much better after the hysterectomy.  I could not believe how much my uterus was controlling my life.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

CeciliaH.
on 3/22/13 1:43 pm

I had a hysterectomy (ovaries remain) 6 months before my RNY. It was the best decision! Mine was a 4 inch cut to remove a basketball sized fibroid and I had a 6 week recovery. Unless your ovaries are diseased, I would recommend keeping them. I've had no hot flashes nor early menopause, and my hormones are normal.  Good luck with your decision! 

HW 250lbs., Lab Band 6/2010 213lbs., revised to RNY 12/18/2012 224lbs., CW 186, GW 150lbs. 

Brenda S.
on 3/22/13 2:14 pm - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
I'm preop rny, but I just had a hysterectomy in November. I also still have my ovaries. I had problems from fibroids...up to 6 week long HEAVY periods. Now I have NO periods...AWESOME! Mine was open due to the size of my fibroids. It was still totally worth it!

Pittsteelers
on 3/22/13 4:20 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I had my hysterectomy 4 years ago when I was 37. It was the best day EVER!!!!!!! I had to c-sections so the doctor just went over one of my scars. Healing time I was out of work for 6 weeks. My sister in law had hers removed vaginally and she was only out of work for 4 weeks. Good luck!!!!

selhard
on 3/22/13 5:22 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Five years ago, at age 48, I was told I needed a hysterectomy but surgery was too risky due to obesity.  Instead, the doctor inserted a hormone-releasing Mirena IUD to stop continual bleeding which has worked well.  On April 1st, I will get the five-year IUD removed, replaced, or will be scheduled for a hysterectomy.  Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated here, too.  Thanks.

debbie A.
on 3/22/13 11:20 pm - inland empire, CA

I have the same IUD. Isn't it wonderful!!!! I still have 3.5 yrs left. Then menopause according to my gyn.

Michelle H.
on 3/22/13 8:04 pm
RNY on 01/24/13
You will have no regrets! You will feel like you were hit by a bus for awhile, but after the healing you will say why didn't I so it sooner. This hyster sister is 6 years out and after suffering for years with very heavy cycles and unpredicted periods it has been great!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/22/13 8:19 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

I had mine years before my RnY. Life is so much better with no more heavy, clotty periods! I had a bladder sling added at the same time. (The gyn and the urologist worked out the timing between them.)

At that point I'd never had general anesthesia before and the idea terrified me, so I asked my surgeon if she could do an epidural instead and she agreed.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

spotcat6
on 3/22/13 9:50 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 05/07/12

I had mine 5 years ago pre rnt but it was the best choice i ever made. I did the meriana iud for 3 years prior but with no help. It does take 6 weeks to recover but in the end you will wish you had done it sooner.

Most Active
Recent Topics