Vitamins

misspeachpie
on 3/29/13 1:44 am - FL
Is there one vitamin that I can take instead of taking a whole crap load? And should I be taking chewables or regular pills now? Please help.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/29/13 1:49 am - OH

There is probably not just one vitamin hat will cover everything, especially since you will need to adjust dosages of individual vitamins the further out you get.  There are a lot of multivitamins that you can take 2 of to get all the basics with, but you still have to add extra calcium, iron, Vit D, and B12 at the very least.

if you can comfortable swallow regular pills you don't have to have chewables.  Some surgeons recommend chewables, others don't care one way or another.  I still take chewable multi's most of the time, but was swallowing the calcium, D, etc just a week or so after surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 3/29/13 1:50 am - OH

No, there is NOT one vitamin you can take.  If there was, it would be HUGE.  also, since we can only absorb so much of some things at one time and some vitamins interfere with the absorption of others, even if there was such a vitamin, it would not work.

There are some brands that tell you that you would only need to take four of their vitamin a day and that would have everything you need - but that is NOT true.  To get what the ASMBS says we need, you'd need eight of those brands, plus B12, plus maybe some calcium citrate.

You can take chewables or regular pills, whatever you prefer, according to the ASMBS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tammy S.
on 3/29/13 5:49 am - DE
I switched to a centrum multi vitamin that I swallow and my surgeon told me it had to be a chewable because I can't absorb properly. Do you use a vitamin that you swallow? I would definately prefer that.....

poet_kelly
on 3/29/13 8:35 am - OH

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says you WILL absorb vitamins that you swallow.  You might want to ask your surgeon why he disagrees with their stance on that.

Yes, I use a generic multi, equivalent to Centrum.  And I swallow it.  I get labs done every six months and they suggest I am absorbing it just fine.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara O.
on 3/29/13 9:22 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

What about soft gels? I bought regular Vit D3 pills and the sublingual B12 you recommended but at the store I saw soft gel versions of Vit D3 and others. Can I absorb soft gels?

poet_kelly
on 3/29/13 9:23 am - OH

Soft gels have oil inside and oil is a fat.  We malabsorb fats, so we don't absorb vitamins in oil real well.  You would absorb some of it but not all of it and it's impossible to say exactly how much.

Sara O.
on 3/29/13 9:52 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I'm glad I asked and didn't waste my money on it. Thanks Kelly. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 275 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views