Too fat to lose weight?

gwen41502
on 4/9/13 12:35 am

I have the band it didn't work for me I went Back to the Dr because of reflux I was unfilled And recommended for gastric by pass revision the Dr said I was to fat to lose weight???? Anyone else been told this? I weigh 357lbs 39 yr female 5 foot 9 scared of failing myself again.....

ChristinAngel
on 4/9/13 2:00 am - MA
RNY on 09/04/13

Find another doctor...

Kim S.
on 4/9/13 2:19 am - Helena, AL

Did you ask the doctor what he/she meant by that? 

robyn_fresh
on 4/9/13 2:26 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I was 30 years old 5'7" and 414 lbs surgery day. Find a new doctor.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/13 2:46 am - OH

That has to be one of the most absurd things I have heard.  Yes, find another doctor.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TomN
on 4/9/13 2:52 am
RNY on 12/27/12 with

I was 488 at my first consult with my doc.  Time to find someone else...

gwen41502
on 4/9/13 3:03 am

Should have added a lil more details.. the dr went on rambling about hormones and genes something about my fat gene can turn off until its reset by gastric by pass what surgery what surgery did u all have?

MsBatt
on 4/9/13 6:59 am

Okay, that makes more sense. Essentially, when we diet, we make our metabolism get more and more efficient, allowing our bodies to get by on burning less and less fuel---and therefore saving the excess as fat.

I'm going to recommend some reading for you: http://www.dsfacts.com , http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/ , http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

thynnlynn
on 4/9/13 3:45 am - MI

I was band to RNY.  Find another Dr.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

aefizzy
on 4/9/13 4:14 am
RNY on 03/19/13

Before I decided to do RNY I was working with a doctor for non-surgical weight loss.   I was really struggling and my doctor said something similar, but not in such a rude way.  She said that essentially it becomes very difficult if not impossible for a person to lose weight on their own when they have over 50% body fat.  She used the example of a furnace.  she said your body has a certain temperature or weight that it wants to be set at and when you try to drop weight your body will fight tooth and nail to stay at that weight,.  Not unlike when you have your furnace set at 70 and you open a door and let cold air in, the furnace will go into overdrive to keep the house at 70.  Eventually after months of struggle and a 15 pound regain in a period of 4 weeks, my doctor suggested RNY to help fight the natural weight my body was fighting to maintain.  I had also had the band and was successful, but when it came out I gained all of the weight back I had lost plus a little and the bypass has really seemed to help get things moving along!  Hopefully that makes sense

Most Active
Recent Topics