What might be causing this???

DebsGiz
on 5/7/13 7:57 pm - FL

I am four-plus years RNY post-op and have done perfectly.  In fact, my surgeon has joked that I could be the "poster child" for RNY.

Anyhow, my husband and I have recently moved to another state and into an older home we are renovating room by room.  I am no longer working outside the home in a high stress job. 

My problem is that I have gotten really horrible about remembering to take my vitamins and drink my water.  At night, I am mostly remembering to take my B12, but it's because I have always just slipped one under my tongue on the way to bed. 

When I was working, I had a routine, which kept me on track with both water and vitamins.  Now I am running and am constantly so busy I simply don't think about vitamins and water most days...

Lately, I've had a few instances where my bowels have signaled the need to go, and have done so almost immediately, which means I've sometimes not made the bathroom quite in time...

I know I should approach this with a doctor, but being new in the area, trying to do a million things each day, I just don't have time right now to find and address this with a doctor, so I'm coming to my OH family to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for all comments!!!!! 

Kim H.
on 5/7/13 9:26 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with

The issue with your bowels might be a simple response to the fact that you're not taking your vitamins. My body has finally gotten used to taking iron and I imagine that if I stopped I might have the pendulum swing and start having diarrhea. Depending on how long it's been and the fact that you're out of your routine, your body might be responding to your changed eating habits, too. I would get yourself back on track with your vitamins and anything on your program that has slipped with the move. I use my cell phone to remind me of what to do when I'm getting lazy. I set alarms to go off when I need to take my vitamins. I have an app for my phone that tracks my water intake. I pack all my daily vitamins in little plastic bags and take them with me wherever I go so I don't have any excuses. There are a million things you can do. Also, maybe start tracking your food, too, to make sure you're not going over in the carb department which can also cause issues. I hope this helps and I'm sure you'll be back on track soon! Take care :)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
DebsGiz
on 5/7/13 10:32 pm - FL

What an awesome response with great information and ideas.  Thank you!!!!!

dorky_kelly
on 5/8/13 3:27 am
RNY on 12/11/12

I have the same issue.  Weekdays I am right on schedule--weekends are a completely different story!  Putting the vitamins into baggies for the day is a great idea.  So simple.  LatelyI just shove all my pill bottles in my purse, and then I feel like that pill lady from Saturday Night Live.

Thanks for sharing!

AGE:  29  |  HEIGHT:  5'5"  |  HW:  375  |  SW:  349 (12/11/12)

Food Journal/Exercise Log 

glad2balive
on 5/7/13 9:57 pm

I think your body was used to its schedule and you got off of it with vitamins and water. Jump back on that horse and see what happens. GOOD LUCK!

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

DebsGiz
on 5/7/13 10:34 pm - FL

Today is a new day, so I'll really work at being more mindful of taking my vitamins and such.  Thank you for the caring as well as the response...

I do love my OH family!!!! 

cajungirl
on 5/7/13 10:34 pm

Calcium may have helped you when you were taking it to keep you from having bathroom issues.  It tends to "bind" some people as does iron.  The bacteria in your gut may be out of balance also.  Try eating some yogurt or get a probiotic and see if that helps along with working toward getting all your vits in.

I do much better taking mine when I'm in a routine, when not then more than likely I'm going to miss some doses.  Definitely find a PCP locally you can establish a relationship with though.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

DebsGiz
on 5/7/13 10:38 pm - FL

This certainly makes sense!  Thank you for taking the time to respond as it is very much appreciated, and I will begin looking for a doctor just as soon as I can catch a breather.  crying

Sheysback46
on 5/7/13 11:54 pm
Hun I have heard horror stories of people not taking there Iron etc from having to have transfusions etc...U seriously need to see a doctor and get back on it vitamins...When we have these surgeries we have to stay on our vitamins period and our diet or we shouldn't bother having the surgery...That's a lot if pain for nothing !!! Just a FYI!!! Hope u seriously see a physician this web site offers info to doctors all over the world...I just started on OH...Nice to meet you to of you mf Shey
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/8/13 12:29 am

FYI: some of us even when we take iron - still have issue with absorbing it. And then we need iron infusions.    

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics