Diabetics on liquid diet.

obesityhelptwistedsist
er

on 4/13/13 10:19 am - PA

Hello,  I am going to have the gastric bypass in two weeks, but I was wondering, my doctor told me to go on a liquid diet 2 days prior to surgery, and I know it has to be clear, sugar free drinks, but how are my blood sugars supposed to stay level and not bottom out, if I am not having sugar or  carbs ?

daubbermom
on 4/13/13 10:38 am - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I have diabetes and it did not effect my #'s very much. I was on the liquid diet for 7 days and then on impact for 3 days. I'm sure everyone is different.

Melissa Nicely
on 4/13/13 1:26 pm - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

I am on a liquid diet as well but I can have my protein shakes. My sugar kept dropping and I was getting dizzy so my PCP pulled me off my pills, I was taking 2 times a day. Since then I have stayed around 100 with my sugar and no more dizzy spells. It took 3-4 days though for me to start getting dizzy so if you are only doing 2 days you might be fine. Just don't be afraid to take your sugar if you don't feel right and contact your PCP if you do drop too far.

qnmimi
on 4/13/13 5:01 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

I was an insulin dependent diabetic pre-op, and before I started my liquid diet, I had to see an endocrine MD for guidance.  I was able to go off the metformin, and just halved my lantus daily, and followed a sliding scale for regular insulin coverage with meals, and I had no lows....AND my blood sugars were the best ever for the past few years.  Very glad I had the surgery, been off insulin since post op day #1.

Bri W.
on 4/13/13 5:15 pm, edited 4/14/13 12:13 am - Quincy, IL
RNY on 12/03/12
I'm not diabetic but my surgeon recommends for people who are to take 4oz 100% No sugar added fruit juice and 4 oz water to keep sugar stable. Hope this helps

BWB
on 4/13/13 11:24 pm

I HAD 4 1/2 months of no to low carb diet and my diabetes improved dramatically, pre op.  I discontinued Lantus before surgery and eventually stopped insulin.  I kept testing and used insulin as needed.  My A1C is in an excellent range now.  RNY was the best thing I could have done for myself.  

You will have to take it a day at a time until your system adjusts to the new plan.  You will probably have several low BG moments and you should recognize them and eat something...whatever your doctor tells you to do.  We can only give you examples of our experiences and it is important for you to get your advice from your doctor.

TamaraL
on 4/13/13 11:25 pm

you might want to  make sure its clear, sugar free drinks 2 weeks prior.  most of us have to do protien shakes for 2 weeks before surgery.

here's some suggestions.  there is isopure which is clear liquids and cytomax which is clear liquids.  i  bought cytomax at Vitamin Shoppe.  Isopure was plum nasty to mee but i really liked the Cytomax flavors.  I did one that was like tropical punch.

Tamara

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 131 views