1 yr today- didnt hit my goal

suezqxoxo
on 5/1/13 2:46 pm - Memphis, TN

I go to the Dr in the morning- and I am sooooooo upset that I have not lost but 5 pounds since my 6mth appointment. I hurt my foot 2yrs ago at my job- and in January my foot dr put me in a HUGE brace and told me to stop exercising-

SOOOOOO since I have not been able to exercise except small arm weights- I have lost and gained over the past 6 months. I am so disappointed in myself- I have cried for a week now- just knowing I let myself down. I am so ashamed- I dont even want to go to my dr's appointment cause of how I feel.

I know it is my own pride BUT I am so embarraced and feel like I have FAILED! I am so sorry- but I needed to vent.

JJ_
on 5/1/13 3:36 pm

So how much weight did you lose in the first 6 months?  How much overall?  How much more would you like to lose?  If you are not able to exercise, can you eat less (ie. how many calories are you eating per day)?  This may be impossible if you are already eating very little.

Do not concentrate on your disappointment with the last 5 lbs. lost.  Look at how previously you probably would have gained back all the weight lost and added more pounds.

Judy

suezqxoxo
on 5/1/13 4:28 pm - Memphis, TN

In the first 6 months I lost 64 pounds. I dont eat to much BUT I do not keep track- and maybe I should- If I wrote it down I could see where I need to add or take away.

I know you are right I should look at the positive side- but I just hate that it has come to a halt so fast! I hope that the dr's office will give me some tips on what to do about exercise. THANKS for your advice!

JJ_
on 5/1/13 4:32 pm

Either write it down on a piece of paper or use a free online tool like http://www.myfitnesspal.com

There are free online videos with chair exercises for those that cannot walk or seniors with limited mobility.  Google it.  This may not be the only period in your life with issues about restraint in exercise.  You need to develop a plan of attack and then work the plan.  Weight management is a life long business.  It is not just for the next 3 months.  Start out with today.  Then work on tomorrow and the next tomorrow thereafter.  After a while it can become a habit like brushing your teeth.

Congrats on your weight loss of 69 lbs.!!

Judy

suezqxoxo
on 5/1/13 4:47 pm - Memphis, TN

SO TRUE.. I need to look at as a new start today-

I did look into exercising from a wheelchair (cause if I have foot surgery then I will be in one for 2 months) BUT I didnt think about doing it now- You are so right. Thanks for responding to my post you really helped me! And I will look up the myfitnesspal! THANKS!

Mo Diggity
on 5/1/13 3:47 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Well, at least you gained & LOST !! Could be worse... could be JUST gaining ;) Don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe talk to the dietician in the bariatric office for some pointers ??

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

suezqxoxo
on 5/1/13 4:30 pm - Memphis, TN

You are sooo right.. if I hadnt had the surgery I would have just gained gained gained- I will take your advice and talk to the dietician- THANKS for your help- it is so hard to not come down on yourself during these times- THANKS again

MultiMom
on 5/1/13 10:25 pm - NH

I'm really sorry that you hurt your foot and have had to stop exercising! BUT, did it never dawn on you that you probably would have to cut calories to keep losing when you couldn't exercise? There have been many weeks (and months) since your brace and you did notice gains, didn't that give you a clue? I think that you need to sit down with a nutritionist and make a plan there. Maybe you should also discuss this with a counselor to talk about why you are where you are. You don't need to feel like a failure, you just need to go forward in a positive way to make yourself succeed!!

Martha enlightened 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/2/13 12:38 am - OH

Because my knees (one in particular) were so bad by the time I had surgery at age 45 and 330+ pounds, I did very little exercise my first year, and not too much more the second year (minus one several month period where i went to the gym 4 times a week and tried to "push through" the knee pain... and did even more damage to it).  BUT... I made sure I was eating less than most people to compensate for not being able to exercise. 

I still lost 190 pounds (but it took 20 months to do it) and have kept it off.  If you give up you probably won't get to where you want to be.  If you find out what types of physical activity (it does NOT have to be formal exercise) you can do (yes, there ARE things you can do) and then do those things as you are able, and you make sure you know exactly what and how much you are eating, you still have time to lose before the caloric malabsorption completely fades.

I was limited to only being able to walk, do gentle water aerobics, and use a recumbent bike (with limited resistance) some days... and NOTHING involving my knees many days.  I was, however, able to do things like floor exercises (sit-ups, leg lifts, etc.) that did NOT involve the knees (or foot in your case) in order to build muscle and raise the heart rate just a wee bit.  Every bit helps, though.  So there are things you can do without involving your foot if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Suzi S.
on 5/2/13 1:08 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 01/14/13

I don't know if swimming would be an option for you with your foot, but depending upon your injury it might be something to consider.  You wouldn't be putting stress on the foot, but could exercise your legs and arms. 

I would also be grateful that you are still lighter than you were pre-surgery and if you are anything like me, without the surgery I would have been up 20+ pounds. 

Keep your chin up!

Suzanne

RNY:  1/14/2013, HW:  220, SW: 207, CW:  182.8, GW:  125

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views