Learning to maintain...any stories?

Kim H.
on 5/3/13 9:49 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with

Hi All,

I'm in the process of learning to maintain and it's really a challenge in some ways. I realized that even after all I've been through part of my brain thought I could eventually go "off" my diet and eat whatever I want without consequences. Uh...hello? No! I actually gained 4 pounds by having a little of this and a little of that and then it was a little more...and more...and boom- 4 pounds! So, I just looked at what I was doing and was honest with myself and said I could have the "treats" but only in moderation which I have never really been very good at. I'm learning...and I lost those 4 pounds in the last month so I know I can stay where I am if I'm honest with myself and don't go back to my old ways. It's sobering to me to see how easy that gain was. So, I'm working on balance in my life... I'm working to keep food in it's place and not become the center of my world again... I'm learning how to be a healthy weight person for life one day at a time. I would love to hear how others are doing close to 2 years and beyond. Any advice? Any experience to share? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
plum21
on 5/3/13 10:15 pm - Miami, FL

I'm nearly three years out and I try to make sure no junk food or trigger foods (like crackers) are in my house. I can have a treat when I'm out or a glass of wine, but my house is my safe zone. Frozen protein shakes are the food I'll go to first. I walk 10+ miles/day.

It is super easy to gain weight and difficult to lose weight. I stay within my four pound range.

MyLady Heidi
on 5/3/13 10:45 pm

In a nutshell, everything evaluated, is it good for me if not is it really worth it. Typically I can talk myself out of most things that way.

Mary Catherine
on 5/3/13 11:27 pm

At 30 months out I gained three pounds, then three the next month and three the month after that.  i had put my scale away and was weighing at the doctor's office once a month.  I was eight pounds under goal when the regain started.  When I hit six pounds over goal, I joined Weigh****chers. 

What really got me back under control was resolving to weigh myself daily. Now I do not make believe that gain is water weight, fat turning to muscle, or any other excuses.  I just weigh every day and if I gain a pound I will get it back off.

It will be six years in October.  I honestly do eat anything that I want, drink with meals, eat crackers, but I limit myself to very little of it.  My pouch does most of that for me. It is a powerful tool when I listen to it. I no longer go to Weigh****chers but would recommend it to anyone learning to eat again and control their portion sizes. I don't drink protein shakes, but do carry Quest bars in my purse 

gbsinsatx
on 5/3/13 11:57 pm - San Antonio, TX

If interested, please see my profile page.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Larry Wassmann
on 5/4/13 3:57 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I am just one year out but at goal. I am nuts. Yes I must be. My NUT gave me more calories per day but I am still losing about a pound a week. NOT GOOD I am getting way to skinny. Anyway, I am having a very hard time accepting that I can eat more now and I am so damn afraid of a weight gain, which I have never had from my surgery, that I am scared as hell to eat more. I am trying but it is not easy. I am not like you I never thougth I could eat watever I wanted, I know I can't because I have been there done that so many times and it never ends well. My surgion told me this is just a tool and the beginning of a life long diet. We will never get over our obesity and it is a life long illness. We may lose weight but our brains will still lead us to eat things that caused us problems and that is where I am today. I am glad to see you are getting back on the ball. You can do it, you know you can. Keep us posted on how well you are doing.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

nfarris79
on 5/4/13 9:24 am - Germantown, MD

I'm a bit over 2 years postop and, yep, maintenance is HARD! I learned I had to really be honest with the food I log and make conscious choices of what I eat and how I eat (like slow down, chew, etc). My salvo was starting running within the first year and committing to major exercise goals that keep me burning calories - - training for my first full marathon this year and intend to keep running as my MAJOR lifestyle change!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Kim H.
on 5/6/13 9:03 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with

I'm so excited for you with your marathon training! That's awesome! I just did a 5 k on Sunday and I'm trying to "become a runner." Lol. I don't know what that means but I want to be able to run ten miles- an odd arbitrary goal. I might sign up for the Army 10-Miler in October to help me motivate. I'm in grad school and often find it hard to make time for exercise or anything for fun. It's hard to find balance but I need to make myself a priority. In fact, I'm going to go out and jog right now! Thanks for all the motivation!!!!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...