How you see yourself and how others see you

Nellybelly2012
on 5/9/13 1:24 pm - LA

I had my surgery in Jan, I have lost 70 pounds since then, I notice the lost because of my clothes. I still see myself as FAT, and I know it is a mind thing like being hungry does it go away. I get people saying how good I look but I feel ashamed because I dont see it. I know my body is a work in progress and I am also dealing with issues from breast cancer, but someone assure me it gets better. 

I am also dealing with a non supportive spouse who thinks I should stop losing weight now because he thinks it is enough.. imagine that.

HW 283/ SW 268/ CW 220/ GW 135  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/9/13 2:08 pm
It definitely gets better. Do not feel ashamed. You will eventually have a better sense of how much space your smaller form occupies.I liken it to getting a new car. Ever get a new car and make a few parking goofs because you are still getting your spatial bearings? Same thing here.
Take care and keep us posted.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Nellybelly2012
on 5/10/13 2:19 am - LA
Thanks RosyKate 73 great example..

ready2be140
on 5/9/13 2:51 pm - WA
RNY on 08/29/12

At times I can really tell a big difference in the mirror and at other times, I still have some head game issues.   This is for you-you've got this!  Do it for yourself above all other reasons.  To lose 70 pounds already , that is just amazing.  I am sorry to hear of the issues from breast cancer - but stay positive and focused!  You've got this!  

Dee.spunk
on 5/9/13 3:47 pm - Sacramento, CA
Yes it does get better, but even at over a year out I still have instances when I feel that way. But they are getting farther and farther between.
Keep your head up! You've got this!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Ladytazz
on 5/9/13 4:56 pm

I've learned that I can't trust my perception of myself.  When I was morbidly obese I felt like I was normal size and when I became normal size I felt like I was morbidly obese.  I just have to trust what other people, people I trust, see.  I have to trust that I cannot wear a size in the single digit and be morbidly obese.  I have to accept that all those people aren't wrong, they are lying when they say I look good.  I had to act like I saw myself as a normal size before I felt like it.  My feelings are always last.  If I wait around until I feel like I'm not fat it may never happen, but if I act like I am a normal size eventually I will feel that way.  It takes a long time for our image of ourselves matches our outside.  Just like every time I look at my 30 year old son I still see the 6 year old boy he was, I still look in the mirror and see the person that I was for many years.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Neaucora
on 5/10/13 2:19 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I am having issues too, and your post really touched me!!!! It really made sense where so many others I have read have not. THANK YOU!!! kiss

Nellybelly2012
on 5/10/13 2:23 am - LA
Thanks guys for the encouragement I appreciate it... I did decide to leave the fat me where she was on that operating table as and this is the me I was meant to be..,

redambruster
on 5/10/13 11:22 am - lebanon, TN
I have a hard time seeing myself to it really just depends on the day and my mind set. I am working on connecting my brain and what's in the mirror as the new me
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views