WLS Newbie

Heather F.
on 5/24/13 4:16 am - VA
Hi everyone! So, a few weeks back I started seriously considering WLS. It had never crossed my mind before because I think I have been in denial for a very long time about just how big I had become over the years. It's strange - I feel like me, I've always felt like me, but I don't see me anymore. I stopped taking photos, I wont go to the beach/pool and I stopped living a normal life. It's funny that even after I took so many precautions to avoid my weight, how I didn't realize it until I went to the doctor and he told me that I NEEDED to lose weight. Talk about a wake up call. After weeks of research and discovering this website, I decided to attend a seminar. Well, yesterday I had my first meeting with a surgeon and coordinator and I'm about 95% sure I want to go through with this. I have some hesitations because I know for a fact how ugly all of the loose skin is going to look, but that's only cosmetic, and I want my life back regardless.

Luckily for me, my insurance company isn't having me jump through any hoops, so the coorindator told me I can move this along as quickly as I want to. So, here's to taking control of my life, and using this tool to break me free of the obesity chains so I can live a healthy and active lifestyle.

Sorry this was really long

"Failure taught me that failure isn't the end unless you give up" -Jim Carrey

Eva1230
on 5/24/13 4:18 am
Good luck! I never considered it until I realized I wouldn't be able to keep up with my son if I didn't get a grip on my weight. I think once you come to terms with it a sense of relief and determination sets in. Best wishes for your journey!
Sara L.
on 5/24/13 4:23 am

Congrats on your decision! I was the same way -- I never took photos, bought clothes when absolutely necessary. . . I even used a compact mirror to put on makeup in the morning so I didn't have to look at myself in an actual mirror!

The loose skin may not be as big an issue as you think. Adequate protein and exercise will help to tone and tighten the skin. Even if there is some loose skin, a good plastic surgeon can help with that; start a little "fund" now to help pay for a "reward" later, whether it's plastic surgery or a dream vacation once you reach your goal!

Lisa_Douglas
on 5/24/13 5:58 am
RNY on 05/20/13
Sounds like you are moving forward for all the right reasons! Like you, I waited a long time before making the decision to explore wls. Once i attended a seminar this past March, I moved forward at warp speed! I lost my ten percent and had surgery this past Monday. So far - no regrets and no look back! Wishing you all the best in whatever path you choose!
PetHairMagnet
on 5/24/13 6:12 am
RNY on 05/13/13

The only caution I will give you, is to be SURE you are ready in all ways to have the surgery AND be successful for life with it.

It is a huge lifestyle change. I am not quite 2 weeks post op, but my husband is 8 months out and while he has lost a LOT, I do worry about him in the long haul because he still wants to eat Cheetos in bed while he watches TV at night. And I think he never addressed the root of some of his bad habits. He DID address the root of many, like his mom and dad being almost force feeders. It is nearly impossible to get out of their home without being fed 3000 calories and having them pout if you say no thank you.

Because I saw him making certain choices, it really shaped how I went through counseling and I actually 'lived the life' to a degree for a full month before making the final decision and asking them to submit me for insurance approval.

I have a friend who had WLS and did great for a year...and has gained it all back PLUS what I would estimate to be another 40 lbs. She is miserable and her insurance won't pay this time due to several factors--I don't know what they all are, and her husband refuses to do a self-pay because he saw it as a huge waste of time and energy. But I truly believe she would be more successful with a revision because she has come to realize her triggers and how to better control them.

So I am excited for you in that you don't have hoops to jump through--I felt like freaking Shamu at showtime, until I read stories here that had it MUCH harder to get approved. So in retrospect, mine wasn't all that bad. But it did make me slow down, REALLY assess and by the time my surgery date came I was excited, well prepared and had put things in place for me to help myself be successful.

And I'd much rather have loose skin than fat filled skin! That's just me! I am wearing compression garments on top and doing toning and will start yoga in mid-July as I have been asked to wait 2 full months before beginning that.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 288 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views