What can be done after gastric bypass wears off?

cookiegirl
on 5/24/13 12:50 am - Staten Island, NY

What options do I have to get the remaining weight (100 pounds) off ? Other than diet - that didn't work for 40 years, and it isn't going to work now.  I would love to get another gastric bypass.  Keeping it off isn't a problem, it is getting it off that is my problem.   

kikidoll
on 5/24/13 12:59 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13
The malabsorption may have ended but you still have use of your tool. Go back to the basics, high protein and low carb. It won't come off as fast but it will come off if you're dedicated to that lifestyle. Are you working out? If not try doing that with a high protein diet, anything that gets your heart rate up!

This advice is obviously not from my own experience but from everything I've read on here and online in general. Don't give up!

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/13 1:06 am

beside diet and exercise e- not much. 

A revision from RNY to DS is an option - but it is a MAJOR surgery and only a few docs in the whole world can do it right... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 5/24/13 1:19 am

I agree with Hala. Here is the list of vetted surgeons in the US who do RNY to DS revisions (a very short list). Others do them, but are not truly qualified to do so.

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, locted in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cookiegirl
on 5/24/13 1:30 am - Staten Island, NY

Thanks! I tell myself that I should be happy with the success of my RNY and the fact that I am complication free- but I would be so grateful for mal-absorption for another 6 months.. I know my pouch is still working- I am still limited to smaller portions - which I am fine with.  I just am not dropping anything.  No, I do not exercise- I have pain walking most days- DDD, bulging discs in neck, carpal tunnel in both wrists- my body aches all the time. I tried treadmill, walking- but I am like a cripple next day getting back and forth to work.  I take tramadol ( since we can't take any NSAIDS) just to get through the day with minimal pain ( I take lowest dose and only once a day, just to get through the work day).  I would've DS'd the first go round, but my surgeon stopped doing the surgery.  I can't justify giving myself any possible complications by doing the DS now, since I have been so fortunate with the RNY.  No way of tweaking the RNY? :(

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/24/13 1:42 am - OH

You don't say how far out you are, but if you are 2 years out and you havecompletely  lost the caloric malabsorption, there really isn't anything short of a DS, because the only thing that will get you caloric malabsorption again is bypassing MORE of your intestine.  At this point, you really just have to find a way to consume fewer calories than you burn (and without exercise, that means eating less).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cookiegirl
on 5/24/13 1:46 am - Staten Island, NY

((Sigh)) yeah.   I don't eat that much as it is- but I do maintain the weight I am at- so I must be eating more than I should.  I do protein first, and am conscious of the rules at all times, but do graze- nervous eater. 

MsBatt
on 5/24/13 1:45 am

It's really unfortunate that you didn't have the DS to start with. (I changed surgeons in order to have mine.) With a DS, you could take NSAIDs 'as needed', and you'd have permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat.

Your RNY hasn't 'worn off'. Yes, your body has probably overcome the slight degree of malabsorption the RNY initially causes, but you should have realized going in that this would happen, and that eventually you'd be back to diet and exercise. But all it not lost! Diet and exercise should be much more successful for you than it was pre-op.

And revision is always a possibility...

cookiegirl
on 5/28/13 3:47 am - Staten Island, NY

You are right, it is unfortunate.  My surgeon had stopped offering the surgery by the time I became his patient ( not sure why) and I wasn't sure if I would be able to be compliant with the requirements of post surgery care at the time ( which I now know I would be).  Revision is what I need to consider.  I can't get my mojo up to "diet". Shame, shame on me.   Thanks.

AngieT75
on 5/24/13 1:48 am

I dont understand what you mean by Wears Off?   I am 2.5 years out and still losing. Not as fast as i was in the first year, and i have stalled for months at times but still losing. I know not everyone is the same but stalls are normal. when i stall i eat just protein for a week and then it restarts me. good luck

268lbs off so far.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 109 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views