Gastric Surgery tomorrow...nervous

lovedbymany09
on 6/2/13 2:42 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13
My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and its been a long time coming. I'm very excited but nervous too. Can some one tell me things that will help me be more calm? I'm looking forward to a new lifestyle and changes in the future. I've giving up junk food which was hard but I thank God I made it!!
Sarahakers11
on 6/2/13 3:04 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with
I don't have much. Mine is Tuesday. But I can at least offer your not alone, and what your feeling...no matter what it is over the next day...is normal

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

martitalinda
on 6/2/13 3:05 am

I was in the same boat... it is only natural to be nervous... I was the same way ... I was freaking out until the night before ... by the time morning came I was calm and ready and have not been happier .... CONGRATS on your upcoming big day.... Best wishes for a seamless transition and a speedy recovery..... 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

poet_kelly
on 6/2/13 3:17 am - OH

This is the time to focus on the positive things.  Of course you're  nervous, most people are nervous before any major surgery.  But stay focused on all the wonderful things you'll be able to do six months or a year from now.  Try writing them down.  You can read your list in the future when you start to feel discouraged.

And how about this?  You can do hard things.  You've  made it this far.  I can't tell  you it's gonna be easy, although it might not be as hard as you think it will be.  But it's major surgery and it's changing your life in huge ways, so it's probably not gonna be real easy.  Most of the best things in life take some effort, though, right?  And you can do hard things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 6/2/13 3:37 am - Brighton, IL

I was afraid too when surgery time came,but what helped me was to remember why I was doing all this-to get healthy! I made a list of all the things I wanted to be able to do. My list included things like buying clothes in a regular store, going out on my boat in a swimsuit,having the energy to keep up with my family and having a normal bmi. I have exceeded all my expectations and done even more like walking 2 5ks. I am so happy every day that I had my surgery!

lovedbymany09
on 6/2/13 4:52 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13
I will start writing things down!! Thank you all for the comfort and encouragement!!
happygrandma
on 6/2/13 5:02 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

Congrats on taking control of your life (something it took me years to do).  I was really nervous too but you'll get through it just fine.

Remember to take some chapstick to the hospital and comfortable, non-slip slippers so you can do a lot of walking.  I took a lot of junk I didn't need.  I took my computer but had no interest in using it.  Same with books.  I took a robe but also never used it because of the IV, just used a hospital gown backwards.  Don't forget your cell phone charger.

Best of luck, it will be over before you know it.

brendaterry
on 6/2/13 5:00 am - NJ
I had my surgery on 4/22/12....I had no anxiety or fear going in for the surgery...I had made up in my mind that I was going to "do this" for me! You deserve to be free from any fear, you are making a conscious choice to improve your lifestyle! The sky is the limit! For me the surgery was the easiest part. You will do fine, say a prayer and embrace the concept of a better you! God speed!
aprilchanel
on 6/2/13 6:45 am
Good luck to you I know that everything will be just fine, I am praying for speedy recovery for you just continue to keep a positive mind frame your only gonna go up from here!!!!!
.........good luck and god bless I can't wait until its my turn
DoryAnne2
on 6/2/13 7:29 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I was pretty peaceful before the surgery, but it was very hard the several days afterwards.  It may not happen with you, but I woke up and felt "Oh my God, what did I do?"  My nurses told me everyone they know who has WLS says the same thing.  The reality of what we've done hits us, and we're feeling so bad we can't believe we did it to ourselves. I felt very out of control.   But my nurse, who's husband had the sleeve two years earlier, said that although he also felt the same way, NOW he was really happy.  The first two weeks was hard because everything changes, and I did go into a slump every now and then, but I'm 2 months out now, down almost 40 pounds from my top weight, and very happy and am adjusting to this new lifestyle.  Nobody does this lightly.  It's a gift to change the yo-yo cycle and really have a permanent change if we're committed to eating healthier and incorporating regular exercise.  Good luck! 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil