Discouraged

misspeachpie
on 6/6/13 2:05 am - FL

My surgery was 3/04/13. I have only lost 36lbs since surgery. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I went through hell for nothing. Any advice would be appreciated. Please no bashing I am already discouraged. Thanks in advance.

aesposito
on 6/6/13 2:16 am

Not bashing, but 12 pounds a month sounds like a nice loss rate to me...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

misspeachpie
on 6/6/13 2:26 am - FL

Thanks Audrey. For some reason I feel like I should have lost more. I see where some people have lost 75lbs since surgery. It's so frustrating. However I did lose 18lbs on my 2 week pre-op diet. Thanks again!

corinedior
on 6/6/13 4:55 am - TORONTO, Canada
RNY on 06/26/12

Hello Hun,

don't be sad and discourage at all . it early in the game to feel that way.

it did happen to me and i stopped weighting myself for while and by the way you will be loosing  more inches in the first days then the weight.

please do not make a mistake to compare yourself with other , you are going to loose  it and have a faith.

take care

honestlinzel
on 6/6/13 2:30 am - CA

My weight loss has been very slowwwww also. I just try not to compare it. Some days are better than others.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Jennifer D.
on 6/6/13 2:30 am - Wareham, MA
RNY on 06/15/12

I remember when I woke up from surgery... I was mad that I wasn't thinner already.  True story.  I guess before surgery having seen so many people be successful I wasn't thinking about how long it would really take.

Without the surgery, would you be happy with 3 pounds or so a week?  I'm not sure that would last long without the help of your new pouch. AND.... it will keep going down!!

The only thing I wish I did was exercise more in the beginning, because I think I might have been at goal by now if I had.

I would be sure you are getting in plenty of protein, and fluids, and doing some type of exercise.  And then I would try to let go of the thought that you're doing anything "wrong", and embrace the fact that you're smaller and healthier every day.  The number you want will come, and much more quickly than it would have without the surgery. I think you're doing great angry

Band #1... 2006 Band #2 (revision) 2008 RNY 6/15/12 (revision).    Third time is the charm!  7/30/13 BL/TT/Thigh Lipo.  THE END!!!

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/6/13 3:40 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Lol-sorry, I love your first line! That is what I am laughing about, so awesome and honest!!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

RebelK
on 6/6/13 3:39 am - TX
RNY on 01/15/13

I think you're doing great! I'm a little older and was also considered a lightweight so I'm fighting for every pound. It's not the amazing loss that I see some people have but I feel good, it IS coming off and at the end I'll be in the same place as the rest of these winners. I also noticed that I lost inches even when I wasn't losing actual pounds. My clothes started fitting differently. :) 

I'm trying to develop a new lifestyle, not worry so much about weight. I want to know long term I'm eating better, exercising more and am waaay healthier than I was pre-surgery.

Hang in there!

Kathy

michelle M.
on 6/6/13 3:57 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

Hello,

Please don't get discouraged.  There is enough of us wishing we would lose wt faster.  I average between 6 to 8 lbs per month.  It seems very slooowww to me but in reality I wouldn't have been able to do it w/o the surgery.  You really will get there, but like some of us, It may seem a little slower.  Slow but steady.  I think once you accept how your body is losing it becomes easier to fall into the flow of things.  I was so disappointed with my wt loss in the beginning, especially after seeing so many lose so much wt in a short period of time.  Once i calmed down (after several months) i was happy just to keep losing.  Now i am concerned that i will lose all of my weight.  See, it never ends.  :)  haha.  I also experienced some depression shortly after surgery. It all eventually evens out.

Hang in there Love,  you aren't alone with these thoughts.

Michelle

carpink72
on 6/6/13 4:04 am - East Orange, NJ

First of all, congrats on the 36 pound weight loss and you should be proud of yourself.  Now let's talk realistically.  I always wonder why we never give ourselves enough credit for losing weight no matter how many pounds were lost, you are smaller than what your were prior to surgery.  Secondly, you didn't mentioned what you are doing to lose weight.  Are you exercising, drinking all you fluids, getting in your protein, etc.  All of these things count towards your weight loss.  Please stop comparing yourself to how others are doing.  As you know, it will only discourage you from succeeding.  Remember that the surgery is just a tool and you have a long road ahead of you to make sure that this tool works.  It's too early in the game to just give up so easily.  You've gone through so much to get to this point, it will be worth it in the end.

Best of Luck,

Carla

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views