Splenda

lbush1977
on 6/6/13 1:15 pm - IN
RNY on 08/15/13

Hi everyone,

I jut wanted to get everyone's opinion on the use of artificial sweetener? I am currently trying to stop using splenda myself. I have been drinking unsweetened tea and am gradually cutting it out of my coffee. Has any one tried stevia? that is supposed to be all natural. There are so many conflicting articles on these?

vickib_tx
on 6/6/13 1:32 pm - Kaufman, TX

I like stevia. To me, it has a better taste in tea and coffee. 

chulbert
on 6/6/13 1:35 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I have no problems with artificial sweeteners.  They are among the most studied and tested substances in all of food and drug safety. 

Athlynne
on 6/6/13 2:30 pm

I hate the taste of stevia, but that's just me.

"I'm pleasant, but I have issues." - MST3K

Start weight: 290 lbs.
Current weight: 205 lbs.

Surgery date: April 15, 2013

LadyLilMax
on 6/6/13 2:46 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

I love Splenda.  I have tried stevia and it made me queasy.  I have powdered honey, and agave syrup and SF maple syrup so I just mix it all up and use what suits my fancy.  I have not tried that monk fruit stuff that is supposed to be pretty good.  

I am 66, grew up on all sorts of chemicals that were probably not good for me and took all kinds of risks and I have made it so far without organic stuff etc.  So I will probably throw caution to the wind and keep up with my dangerous practice of using Splenda.  no

That is just me.  I admire those who are trying to live "cleanly".  Too much work for this ol gal, LOL. 

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Kat Kat
on 6/6/13 8:04 pm, edited 6/7/13 3:01 am - AZ
I love stevia. The thing to remember is not all brands are created equil. I suggest getting NuNaturals brand stevia, get the bottle though. It can be found in the supplements aisle in many health food stores. and on Amazon. There is another product on the market now too called Swerve. It tastes and looks like sugar. They make it in confectionery sugar also. It's great sprinkled on berries. This is a little harder to find. Just go to their website for information, free samples, and use the links to either order, or to find a retailer in your area.

Kat
Laura in Texas
on 6/6/13 8:40 pm

Personally I had SO many cravings when I used Splenda and it was hard for me to maintain my weight. I don't have that problem since I switched to Stevia. For me, it was the right move.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cajungirl
on 6/6/13 11:30 pm

I'm trying to cut back on Splenda also.  It doesn't cause cravings but man I use A LOT of it.  I didn't like Stevia, tasted bitter to me.  I wish I liked coffee black, I'll keep trying though.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics