Does anyone else stress out over eating meat?

KatBee
on 6/9/13 9:15 am

I am 3 months post op & eating stresses me out to the point I dread it. Tonight for dinner I had a small piece of steak smaller then the palm of my hand. I cut it up smaller then a dime, by the time I get to the fourth or 5th piece I can't physically eat anymore & if I try to put another piece in my mouth I feel like I'm going to throw up.

I tend to dump chicken or turkey so those are out. I can eat ham steaks but not cold cut ham. I can have tuna only if it's super moist w/ mayo.

I know I am no way getting the 3-4 ounces my NUT is suggesting & sometimes I wonder if I'm even eating 2 oz.

Has anyone else had this problem?

PS I can have protein drinks & bars w/ out a problem it just tends to be meat that gives me the issue

theresabeach611
on 6/9/13 9:44 am
Im the same way! I was addicted to food before surgery and couldnt wait to eat after the liquid diet part. Now its such a hassel all the chewing and i just feel like i dont like food anymore. I dont get enough protein and im really trying! Hope you figure it out!
Soapy
on 6/9/13 10:12 am
Same here. I dread to eat most of the time,

PrincessBelle
on 6/9/13 10:44 am
I also dread meat. It just doesn't agree with me unless it's ground. So I grind it or I stick to beans, hummus, cottage cheese, ricotta, etc.

RNY 3/11/13. 

poet_kelly
on 6/9/13 11:04 am - OH

Why are you trying to eat it, then?  I don't eat any meat, haven't for about 26 years.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KatBee
on 6/9/13 11:26 am

Kelly,

I'm game. Can you educate a bit on what you eat? WHat's a typical day for you? Keep in mind I don't eat eggs or fish

poet_kelly
on 6/9/13 11:32 am - OH

I don't eat fish, either.  I don't eat any animals.  I eat free range eggs once in a while but it's been a few months since I had any. 

I eat a lot of beans and a lot of dairy.  I have protein shakes most days, just because I like them, usually made with raw milk.  I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and a lot of cheese.  I also eat meat substitutes, like veggie burgers and Morningstar Farms soy crumbles (it's like ground beef, but made from soy, and I make chili with it and have served it to a few people that didn't even realize it wasn't real  meat) and their chik'n strips (which are also made from soy, not chicken).  I eat nuts and nut butters.  I eat seeds, like pumpkin seeds.  I don't much like tofu myself, but it's a good source of protein if you like it.  Keep in mind that things like veggies and whole grains also have small amounts of protein.

A typical day for me is something like this:

Breakfast- protein bar

Lunch- some cheese and fruit, or Greek yogurt, or leftovers from dinner last night

Snack- protein shake, or yogurt

Dinner- vegetarian chili, some sort of beans, veggie burger, or big salad

Snack- roasted chickpeas, or some cheese, or some fruit, or more of whatever I had for dinner

Snack- more of whatever I ate for snack earlier

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KatBee
on 6/9/13 11:48 am

Thank you! I'll give it a shot

Larry Wassmann
on 6/10/13 12:24 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

You say you eat a very small amount of meat. How small you think 2 ounces etc. You have got to weigh it on a scale. You can not believe what your eyes say. Start out with no more than 2.5 ounces on a plate. Weigh it on a scale, I know I said it again, but it must be done if you want to eat solid meat. Do not eat chicken breasts at first. Way to dry you will barf on it, most of us do. Do not take one bit of steak that is bigger than your pinky finger nail." Itty bitty itty bitty".

Chew, Chew each small bite. Put a timer on the table and take 20 minutes to eat that small piece of meat. Also if you still have problems with meat, put something like Worchstershire Sauce or A1 on it. both have very few calories but lubricate the meat and make it easier to go down. You may also want to get some McCormik's gravy mix. You can sprinkle about 2 tbs of it on the meat and that helps get it down. About 25 calories per 2 tsp.

I had to do this for quite a time, but now I can eat steak with no problem. Try this and see what you think. I also had to put a little tarter sauce on fish. Hope this helps you and others who may be having problems with eating meat. I did this all along my weight loss and never had a week were I had a gain so it worked for me.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

campingmama
on 6/10/13 12:51 am - IN

I have the same issues. I am back to relying on my protein shakes for my protein. I am three months out as well. My nutritionist said "DO NOT WEIGH THE FOOD!! " Our pouches go by volume now and we are to use the ounce shot cups for measuring. If we weigh it, it can be way too much volume for our pouches.

I have said, "Eating is no longer fun." for the past two months. One day I can eat something and the next day it bothers me. BUT, I am no longer tired all the time, nor do I huff and puff when showering or dressing. Lots and lots of NSV and I would still do this again.

To Kelly, I admire your vegetarian life style, however, my family would be SO  upset if I made them do it too. There are many, many days where I eat veggies, cheese and beans. In fact, I have a crock pot of legume soup on right now.

Good luck everyone,

Sandy  angry

I will care for my body so that I can feel the pleasure of being fit & fully alive as I grow older.                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 243 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 270 views