Pre-Op Prep Advice Needed...

CubanQueen
on 6/12/13 3:49 am - FL
RNY on 06/18/13

So I start my pre-op liquid diet tomorrow (surgery is scheduled for 6/18) and I was wondering what most people drank? I bought lots of chicken and beef broth. Is that mostly it?

Also, in reference to packing for the hospital stay what would you recommend? My husband is staying with me during my stay but I prefer to have my stuff ahead of time instead of asking him to get it for me.

Thanks in advance!!!

jlynne77
on 6/12/13 4:00 am - huber Heights, OH

I was only on a liquid diet for 1 day.  But as far as things you might need for the hospital stay, I found lip balm and lotion to be the best things!  Your lips will be dry and cracked from the anesthesia, and my shin got really itchy so the lotion did wonders.  Also, things like slippers, and an mp3 player came in handy.  Hope that helps!

Jennifer

krp123
on 6/12/13 4:23 am - Arlington, VA
RNY on 04/25/13

Protein Shakes for the two week liquid diet. I was on clear liquids (like broth) 36 hours before surgery. I cannot imagine being on only clear liquids for a whole week, let alone two- you're basically starving yourself of any nutrients leading up to your surgery. Did your surgeon or Nut/RD give you guidelines? My RD had me come in 2 weeks before surgery and went through what kinds of foods/liquids for each stage including the pre-op diet, each with a sample menu. Every surgeon and Dietician's plan is different, so you should really consult them if you aren't sure.

Surgery: April 25th, 2013

gooddaysunshine
on 6/12/13 4:24 am
RNY on 04/30/13

I drank No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast during my pre op diet.  I didn't bring much of anything to the hospital with me, just a robe to cover up with during walks in the hallways.  Everything else is pretty much provided.

poet_kelly
on 6/12/13 4:34 am - OH

Protein shakes, some veggie broth, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding and yogurt (my pre op diet was full liquids).  You have protein drinks, right?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CubanQueen
on 6/12/13 4:39 am - FL
RNY on 06/18/13

I have protein drinks, broths, sugar free ice pops. 

patlivs
on 6/14/13 8:46 pm

This sounds like my prescribed diet. I'm on day 11 now. I find it to be not enough i forgot about the sugar fre jello that might be what will save me the rest of the way. I have only lost 6 lbs in 11 days hope to lose another 4. If you feel hungry which i did eat jello it should help you to feel fuller. Prayers and blessings to you. My surgery is June 19 th!!! I'm ready to not feel hungry for a while:) Keep in touch we are all in this together!!

PetHairMagnet
on 6/12/13 4:49 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Sugarfree jello, applesauce and puddings were helpful to me. I also ate tomato and butternut squash bisques. Not the milk based ones--the Healthy Harvest ones that are 100 c a serving.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Lisa_Douglas
on 6/12/13 7:27 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My favorite things I packed for the hospital- power strip with our phone chargers, a good fan, and a heating pad.  Good luck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 275 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views