Haven't started exercising yet...

gooddaysunshine
on 7/2/13 12:51 am
RNY on 04/30/13

So I'm 9 weeks post op today and I have not started a regular exercise regimen yet.  I've struggled with dizziness due to lack of calories and/or fluids (per my PCP) pretty much since 3 weeks post op so it didn't make sense to me to be burning additional calories when my caloric intake was so minimal early on.  Now that I'm around 900-1000 calories a day, I would like to start walking.  Would love to boost my weight loss a bit, it seems I lose about a pound or so per week lately.  Not sure if I'm just so used to the dizziness at this point or if it is starting to subside, but I'm ready to start walking!  Any thoughts?

MrsLitch
on 7/2/13 12:56 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

if you feel you can start walking or doing formal exercise and you want to go for it! I personally don't do any formal exercise although I live a much more active lifestyle now and walk far more than I ever did I don't do it formally. Having said that I wasn't eating 900-1000 calories a day until I was over 9 months out not 9 weeks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

noftessa0401
on 7/2/13 1:02 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

This is me, almost exactly.  Except I am 6 months out and still only eat about 600-800 calories a day.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

JenniPenny
on 7/2/13 3:18 am - MN

I was exercising from early out - my doc has us walk a mile a day after the first week and 2 miles a day after the 2nd or 3rd week. I've also done strenuous exercising:mountain biking, white water rafting, skiing, hiking since about 4 weeks out when I was on less than 400 calories per day. Our intake initially doesn't really matter with exercise as we're using up stored fat. Like extra food you've been hanging on to. If you're dizzy up the water, especially if it's hot where you are. In the summer and when it's hot out we need more water despite our exercise schedule. Just walking into work or the mall from the car can dehydrate us. When my water intake increased the dizziness went away, and I started losing a good amount of weight per week. I don't understand 900 calories at just 9 weeks out? I didn't do 900 until 9 months out - working up to 1000-1200 by one year out and forever thereafter. Start walking - lots of water first, and on the walk. Remember you don't need calories to move - we have plenty stored up for our body to take from when needed - that's the purpose of having this surgery. I couldn't do the 64 ounces of water required by most docs without feeling faint and dizzy - I upped it to 86-96 ounces per day and I was fine. Nausea went away, no more dizzy feeling, etc. I increase it even more when doing strenuous stuff outdoors. When down in the southwest where it's way drier I do well over 100 ounces a day. I feel find and can tell when my water levels decline-dizziness comes back and the nausea. Makes me not want to eat or drink so it' gets worse. I was never on any liquid supplements - protein shakes as per my doc so all my protein came from food - I had plenty of time after meals (30 or more minutes after) to get a lot of water in before the next meal. Try more water, see if you don't feel better. Get out there and exercise - start slow if you have to but get moving - you'll heal up fast, increase your lung capacity, get your muscles moving and keeping taught muscles will help with skin firmness later and you'll lose faster. When you move you lose weight. We had this surgery to feel better and be healthier and the best way to get exercising is walking. work up to a couple miles per day and you'll really see a difference. It's great to feel light enough to walk and make ourselves healthier. good luck to you - congrats on your success so far.

Jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

gooddaysunshine
on 7/4/13 8:14 am
RNY on 04/30/13

JenniPenny, thank you for your perspective!  It really helps!  Maybe I'm unclear about how many calories I should be taking in at this stage; I re-read my info from my surgeon for the 1-2 months after surgery phase, and it states, "For successful weight loss, calorie intake may range between 800-1200 calories each day.  Ask your registered dietician how many calories are appropriate for you."  I may have mistaken that to mean I should be in the 800-1200 range at 2 months out.  After reading it again, that may be referring to ongoing, long-term.  I try to use myfitnesspal to keep track of my calories and protein intake, and in looking back over the last couple weeks, definitely have days where I don't get anywhere near 800 calories, but some days I get that much or a little more.  I know I'm not getting enough water in.  I've been focusing on improving that because I know I'd feel better and it's so important.  I never thought of exercise using up stored calories rather than recently consumed calories!  Thanks again for shedding light, and I appreciate your insight!

fireflymkz76
on 7/2/13 5:38 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12

I will be a year out this month and I haven't exercised at all.  I should have but I just started this weekend.  I would say if you can start doing it so it becomes habit.

check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
Most Active
Recent Topics