Need a reminder because it's been a while!

Ellio82
on 7/8/13 1:47 am

Hi all

Had my RNY in March 2013.  I lost 117 in about 7 months, got all the way down to 157 (which was too low, my target was about 165).  I've gained a bit in the past 6 months, am now 183 and have decided to re-commit to journaling my food etc.

Problem is, I can't remember what my daily targets should be, other than that all important goal of 70g of protein.  Can you someone remind me what I'm shooting for on sodium (one of my problem areas, god I love the salt), fats, carbs etc.?

Thanks in advance!!

Max:  290
Pre-op: 282
Goal: 165
Current: 183

Ellio82
on 7/8/13 1:50 am

Sorry, correcting to say I had my RNY in March 2010!  Not just a few months ago...I must be hungry!

Kim S.
on 7/8/13 2:35 am - Helena, AL

At this point, you are basically a "regular person" in that the mal-absorption from the surgery is likely mostly gone....you'll have to lose by burning more than you ingest on a regular basis.  You need to know what your resting metabolic rate is.....try http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php to get some idea.

You'll want to concentrate on a protein forward diet, as that is the best for us.  However, do not try to do a "fad" type diet like extremely low carb because if that type of eating doesn't suit you, it will be temporary.  You need to find a good balance that will allow you to stick to that way of eating long term.  AND.........don't forget exercise!  Sooo important in the big picture of good health and weight maintenance.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/8/13 3:25 am - OH

Yep, yep... what Kim said.  There is no universal target number of calories since we all have different metabolisms and activity levels.  Sometimes you just have to do it by trial and error.  If you know what your RMR is (the link Kim gave is just a very rough estimate that obviously cannot take your individual metabolism into account, which can skew things a lot in some cases) and subtract 500 calories per day, that is a good starting point.  My surgeon never gave us any guidelines on fat, carbs, or sodium, but most people in maintenance seem to eat about 100g of carbs per day (too few carbs over a long period of time can contribute to kidney stones, BTW).

As Kim said, eating a balanced, sustainable diet rather than some fad diet is important for long term success since "dieting" just does not work.  Reinforcing good, healthy, balanced eating will help keep your weight under control for the rest of your life, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

pattymac65
on 7/8/13 4:02 am

Yep... yep... what they said ;-)

PetHairMagnet
on 7/8/13 7:24 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My surgeon set my protein goal at 80. HYDRATE like crazy!

I don't have a sodium limit right now, I just flipped through my book and it just says to avoid 'excess salt and sodium'.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ellio82
on 7/9/13 5:55 am

Thanks all.  I appreciate the responses.  I'm not looking to *diet* really at all.  (Been there, done that - pre WLS).  Just paying closer attention to my body and making sure I feel good, stay active and make good choices.

Most Active
Recent Topics