A little rant

ecrea007
on 7/11/13 12:52 pm - marietta, GA

I want to make this post clear and not such a ramble so you can feel my frustration and get what I’m saying. It's long- but very dramatic and wanted to share

1st. I was on rotation in the ER a few weeks before my surgery date and was getting nervous thinking about the whole process of intubating and cutting and how many people are going to be in the room etc. I mentioned to my tech(tech A) that it was making be nervous due to me about to have surgery- she asked what type- I replied that I wasn’t talking about that to others. Well she guessed weight loss surgery and I proceeded to tell her not to mention it to others because I wasn’t ready for others input on my decision and she promised she wouldn’t.

2nd. I’ve been back in the OR the past two weeks- I had a tech(tech B) that I like come to me and straight up ask me if I had had the lap band… I said no and then decided to tell her about having gastric bypass (apparently that tech had it 5 years ago-so I’m glad she talked to me about it) Well the tech went on to tell me how she had heard- She said the tech(tech C) who guessed- her best friend who also works in the OR said. “So have ya’ll seen Elise?” nice tech “yeah- she’s been working hard and looks great” evil tech “That’s not what I heard! She had the lap band!”
…… REALLY? These are grown adults in their 30’s.

3rd the tech A came up to me the very next day all cheerful saying “  Elise!! You look AMAZING! I just HAVE to ask- what ARE you doing?!?!” … Well you know as we lose weight hormones are released… I’ve actually grown a backbone that pops in and responded “Well (tech C) I heard you already have an idea of what I did and have told several people”
She proceeded to explain that that was silly and not true and trying to be all buddy buddy.

4th Tech A started being the biggest you know what to me… telling me how I was doing everything wrong- making snide remarks, being straight up rude… Well today was by FAR the worse… It made my stomach lock up and put me in tears…

5th I found out that in the staff meeting with the whole radiology department they were talking about me (I’m a great student) and someone asked “who is Elise?” and Tech C said “you know the little blonde girl who had gastric bypass?”

SHE TOLD THE ENTIRE DEPARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What have I done to these people? I work hard, I’m polite and nice, I know my stuff and do what I’m told…
Mind you these two techs have gained a LOT of weight recently and some are saying they are just extremely jealous… but I don’t understand why.. I don’t understand why all of a sudden they are being so mean…

PetHairMagnet
on 7/11/13 12:58 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I am really sorry this happened to you-but this should serve as a warning to folks to be careful about the people they share this with-for any reason.

Sorry your colleague was an asshat!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Mimisocks
on 7/11/13 1:32 pm - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

You should run, not walk to the person(s) in charge of your program or the HR dept. of the hospital you are training at to report a HIPAA violation.  You may have disclosed to the 1st person, but that person did not have your express permission to divulge this info to anyone else.  The government is very serious about facilities which violate this policy; what if you had a condition which would make someone scorn you (not right, either) You are entitled to privacy about the procedures you do or don't do on your body.  I am mad for you, my supervisor is the same way and I have called her on her lack of concern about the privacy of staff members.  You may not want to be the squeaky wheel, but how will higher-ups know the letter of the law is not being followed in protection of all!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

noftessa0401
on 7/11/13 8:38 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12
While there may have been invasion of privacy here, I don't see any clear HIPAA violation. The OP is not a patient of the gossipers but a coworker. HIPAA would not apply, unless we are talking about HR divulging the info in relation to the administration of the health plan. And I don't read it this way.

These people are just ******** I'm sorry this happened, but if it were me, I'd tell everyone to suck it, and that you are fine rocking the new you.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

emmalyn
on 7/12/13 4:57 am
On July 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM Pacific Time, Mimisocks wrote:

You should run, not walk to the person(s) in charge of your program or the HR dept. of the hospital you are training at to report a HIPAA violation.  You may have disclosed to the 1st person, but that person did not have your express permission to divulge this info to anyone else.  The government is very serious about facilities which violate this policy; what if you had a condition which would make someone scorn you (not right, either) You are entitled to privacy about the procedures you do or don't do on your body.  I am mad for you, my supervisor is the same way and I have called her on her lack of concern about the privacy of staff members.  You may not want to be the squeaky wheel, but how will higher-ups know the letter of the law is not being followed in protection of all!

100% This.

PPP
on 7/11/13 1:35 pm
Some people justlikebeing the one in the know and want others to know that fact. Hold your head high. What's done is done. Just stay focused, get healthy and have the last laugh!

Ingrid K.
on 7/11/13 4:10 pm - Canada
Some people really suck!!!! But I am proud of you for having the surgery. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but you made a choice to better your health and happiness. We all deserve that and some may require a surgical operation to get that. There isn't anything wrong with that. We are all different and need different things in our life. I needed surgery and the big mouth and others in your department need drama and gossiping to keep them feeling good about themselves. It says way more about them than you in my opinion. Keep up the good work with your body and don't stop taking care of yourself.
sharon13
on 7/11/13 8:54 pm - PA

Unfortunately there always has to be drama in some people.  You should try to not let those negative people influence you.  Most only say things to get a reaction, that is there attention they desire.  There are so many negative people when it comes to this surgery from "you don't need the surgery, just put your fork down",    "oh! your not that big that you need the surgery!"  Our world has become such a judgemental place, and even though you can try to avoid most of the negative people there clearly are more than most realize.  Good luck in journey and so sorry you had to deal with people like that.

RNY 4/3/2013

Highest Weight 303   Pre Surgery 278   Date of Surgery 4/3/2013

Laura in Texas
on 7/11/13 11:15 pm

People just love to gossip. I don't see that too much of what you wrote was "mean". Your hormones are still raging with your rapid weight loss. You are young and have to try to figure out how NOT to let other people's opinions affect you this much. The mental part is the toughest. Just continue to take care of yourself!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ecrea007
on 7/12/13 11:50 am - marietta, GA
I seriously want you thank all of you- your words of encouragement mean the world to me especially during times like this. I am working on being a stronger and more confident person- which in the long run with help in all aspects of my life! I can't wait to wake up one day and not care about the negative things ! Thank you for reading my long, rambling post and giving words of encouragement!

Most Active
Recent Topics