do you chew gum?

christyj74
on 7/12/13 12:53 am

Hi everyone!  I'm almost 4 weeks post op.  My surgeon says no chewing gum because it makes air get into your stomach.  Does everyone agree with that?  It seems like my mouth is constantly dry and crappy tasting...it would be nice to be able to chew gum!

poet_kelly
on 7/12/13 1:00 am - OH

I chew gum sometimes. I don't think it makes air get into my pouch.  If it does, it's not enough air to cause gas or stomach pain, so who cares?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mrs_walsh17
on 7/12/13 2:15 am - Albuquerque, NM

I chew sugar free gum, because like you my mouth is crappy tasting!  It's never bothered my stomach.

Liz - HW 253     SW 231     GW 140     Surgery date April 22, 2013

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/13 2:50 am

I do get more gas and more air when I chew gum- I think that is due to my sensitivity to Sugar alcohol..and some of the chemicals in it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lisa_Douglas
on 7/12/13 3:32 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My surgeon was not as concerned with the gum chewing as the gum swallowing...

poet_kelly
on 7/12/13 3:45 am - OH

Do you swallow your gum?  I don't swallow mine.  I spit it out when I'm done with it.  Most people I know do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa_Douglas
on 7/12/13 3:47 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I used to chew gum a lot (pre surgery) and frequently swallowed my gum without thinking about it ...

ebtiger24
on 7/12/13 3:44 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I will chew it for very short periods. Chewing gum, at least as I understand it, can create hunger pains as your stomach expects something as the result of your chewing. It does seem to me that if I chew it for an extended period that sometimes my stomach gets a little rumble to it. May just be in my head. However, I just chew it for short periods to get rid of a bad taste/breath freshener. 

65rosesmom
on 7/12/13 3:45 am

I hate gum, but I've been chewing it to deal with the dry mouth thing.  Sugar free sucking candies don't work well for me.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

christyj74
on 7/12/13 3:49 am

Thanks everyone!  I never thought about the possibility of accidentally swallowing it.  I don't normally, but I suppose it could happen.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 304 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics