I get real shakey in the morning

AnnieD9999
on 7/26/13 12:08 am - Columbus, OH
For the last week or so when I wake up in the morning I get really shakey. I probably misspelled that forgive me but it looks right. Anyway it feels like how I used to when I was at work and wouldn't eat all day and just had coffee. It goes away after an hour or two, but I have to say its not enjoyable. Any suggestions?

Going to get labs drawn today so well see what those say.

Also I just made a delicious protein shake with 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, scoop of vanilla protein, orange juice (trop 50**** cubes and sugar free raspberry syrup.

poet_kelly
on 7/26/13 12:12 am - OH

probably low blood sugar.  Does it go away when you eat? Try eating a high protein snack right before bed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dahoodman
on 7/26/13 12:38 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I agree with Kelly. I get the same thing early in the morning when I go to work and stop for my usual cup of coffee. If I don't eat soon enough I will start to get the shakes. Once I eat I'm usually good. If I don't have the coffee, it's not as bad. I think that the caffeine has a little to do with it too or perhaps the degree of shakes. If you have a blood sugar tester, test your blood sugar sometime when you are shaky and see where it's at. It's probably not worth buying one for just this purpose unless it continues, but the testers are relatively cheap, but the test strips are the expensive part.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

AnnieD9999
on 7/26/13 12:54 am - Columbus, OH
It does seem to go away after I eat. I finished my protein shake about half an hour ago and I feel fine now.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/13 1:16 am

I was like that for a while - when worked for me was to have first thing am -1 tsp of NSA PB - even in bed. Before getting up. r just after I was up.

Now - I make sure I eat some LNS just before bed (nuts, nut butter, or cheese) and avoid carbs late in the evening..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/26/13 1:32 am - OH

I have that problem, too.  It is low blood sugar (in may case, anyway, so I assume in your case as well).  I always have a small snack of a combination of protein, fat, and carbs right before bed, and that eliminates the problem.  Half a container of yogurt works well (but low fat yogurt works better than no fat yogurt).  Most nights, though, rather than eating anything I just drink a glass of 2% milk (since I take my Synthroid before bed I have to drink something anyway).

I have hypoglycemia (regular, not reactive), and I am not sure why but having the triad of carbs, protein, and some fat works MUCH better than just a carb and protein combination.  (Even 2% milk works better than 1% milk.) Maybe someone else (Hala? Kelly??) can explain why the fat component matters.

i still need to have something very small to eat soon after I get up, but even having two or three bites of yogurt or half a cup of milk is enough to keep me stable until my real breakfast in an hour or two.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SarahLee1969
on 7/26/13 7:08 am - NY
Fat slows digestion. The carbs help increase the BG, the protein and fat keep it from rising too high too fast, and helps prevent the post spike crash.
Jilly Bean
on 7/26/13 3:31 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I was waking up with severe migraines.  Dr. said I needed a snack before bed.  Worked like a charm.  I also increased my fluids at night.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/26/13 4:18 am - OH

Good point about the extra fluids at night.  I would almost bet that the extra fluid is part of the reason that milk right before bed seems to work so well for me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AnnieD9999
on 7/26/13 7:56 am - Columbus, OH
Thanks y'all, ill deffinetly try the snack and more fliuids before bed. I have been real bad about only eating 3 times a day and not getting enough protein or fluids. Trying to get 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks in a day now.

Most Active
Recent Topics