Random belly cramps -- seeking thoughts/advice

Elektra_Kat
on 7/26/13 1:52 am
RNY on 06/26/13

Yesterday I saw the APN and NUT. Very near the top of my list was asking about my weird, belly cramps I was getting when I drank water. Of course yesterday I had a bottle of water with me and I was not cramping. So we kind of figured one of two things: either my body sorted out its water issue, whatever it was, or that the cramps were actually from developing lactose intolerance since surgery. The bulk of my diet recently has been dairy based. BUT I have no diarrhea. Just random cramping.

Last night I had 2 tiny sips of water. I cramped almost immediately. This led me to think that maybe my water issue is really TAP water. This would explain why the bottled water was okay yesterday.

This morning I had no dairy products, and, totally out of nowhere, I started cramping again. At that point all I had had was maybe 1/5th of a banana and 1 strawberry. And I had already had a BM. (in case that's relevant)

Strangely I am now drinking a Premier Protein (the earlier cramps making me think dairy is not the culprit) and have no cramping whatsoever. I feel fine, like I did before this past week or so. I want to keep feeling this way.

I was advanced to the diet for life (step 4??) yesterday and will be adding in loads more variety now that I am allowed, so my dairy consumption won't be as high. I have been low on my fluid intake because of the cramping. This led me to wonder if maybe belly cramping was an early sign of dehydration, but my initial research doesn't indicate so.

What the heck is it? I don't get flushed or fevery or anything else. Just cramping in my wee belly. C'est tout. Could it be something as simple as my body being hungry?

I'm totally at a loss here, and I'm not sure it's vital enough to bug them at the clinic, especially when I was just there yesterday and no one had any concerns about me at all. But I know that if I knew the cause, I wouldn't be nearly as bothered by them.

Thank you for any insight any of you may have into this.

Cheers!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/13 2:39 am

I am 5 years post op - I still can't drink clear water beyond a few sips.   I have to add flavors to my water.   Before RNY - I never had issue with water.  A lot of people post op RNY can't handle plain water. 

Adding flavors help - you may try type of crystal light, Mio, Desanti - or ever some lemon juice.    

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Elektra_Kat
on 7/26/13 3:55 am
RNY on 06/26/13

I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting. I would be okay with flavouring it all the time if I could find a flavour or two that didn't make me hurt. cool

jbasney
on 7/26/13 3:03 am - Bandon, OR

Have you thought about the temperature of the liquids you are drinking. I know that if I drink something too cold it will immediately cause cramping... Just a thought.   Good luck.

Elektra_Kat
on 7/26/13 3:54 am
RNY on 06/26/13

I sure have! Crystal Light doesn't sit well with me (at least not the flavours I've tried), nor does Fit and Active (or whatever the brand name is that they sell at Aldi). Lemon i**** or miss. Room temperature; cold; and really, really cold have all been tried. But not tea. Not yet.

I'm starting to get all panicky about getting in enough liquids.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/26/13 6:30 am, edited 7/26/13 6:31 am

You may try vitamin Zero or Sobe Zero. And try dilute them with water (I use 20-30% of the flavored drink and add water) . Room temperature is best for me. 

Green tea, herbal teas, work well for me. Not all - but some of them... 

My pouch hates crystal light or anything with aspartame. Mio - and Desanti - flavorings - i**** and go.. some are OK, but not all.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Elektra_Kat
on 7/26/13 7:09 am
RNY on 06/26/13

I will look for vitamin zero and sobe zero. Thank you. I picked up some Nestle pure life flavoured water today to see if they are tolerated. I'm not a huge tea drinker which is why I haven't tried them yet.

I hadn't thought of aspartame! I wonder if that's it....

Most Active
Recent Topics